You can choose one hectare from any vineyard in Germany...which one would you go for?

It’s only recently that I have begun to immerse myself, so I am not experienced enough to make a really informed decision. I did ask John Gilman, who has the experience and palate necessary, and I hope he will chip in later. There are, however, plenty of people here who have been drinking and digging into the wines, who can make an informed choice.

Schubertslay, just because it was the first that came into my head and I’ve fallen down it.

But its under a Hectare, so do I get 2?

1 Like

Maximin Grünhäuser Abtsberg. For me, the top vineyard in the Mosel.
Alex

1 Like

Is this for me to own or just bottles of wine to drink from?

To own, I kind of would like to own Steinberger (or one of the other top vineyards in the Rheingau) and then hire someone to bring the vineyard back to making great wines. Thought of Steinberger based on the reference to John Gilman and the wine he gave a taste of at a Rieslingfeier dinner.
P2170081.JPG
To drink, I guess Abtsberg is as good as any. Love the wine. Hard to leave out Rausch and the JJ Prum portion of Wehlener Sonnenuhr around the sundial.

Wehlener Sonnenuhr, though I like the Grunhauser Abtsberg call

Not a chance. [wink.gif]
As it is less than a hectare, that should be included in your calculation, as well as the hellishly high cost of production.

I suspect I’ll be the only one choosing to grab a hectare of this, but I time and time again, I just love wines from Brauneberger Juffer-Sonnenuhr, so that’s my pick.

Bratenhöfchen :slight_smile:

Kallstadter Saumagen

Uhlen. Not a great photo because I took it from a moving car, but some of the terraces have an 86 degree slope! They were picking at the next vineyard over and the pickers were using rappelling ropes for safety.

IMG_6337.JPG

I think I kind of have to choose hatzenport stolzenburg.

Anywhere in Assmanhauser.

I’m surprised that we each response is different so far. Nice to see appreciation for such a variety of vineyards.

I think there’s a little showing off, too. [wink.gif] I mean, Wehlener Sonnenuhr is so pedestrian.

But Assmanhauser? Hatzenport Stolzenburg? Uhlen? Bratenhöfchen?

Bonus points for obscurity for those!
champagne.gif

2 Likes

Haha to be fair, I only chose Stolzenburg because of the very close last name match.

yeah, me too. And the fact that no one has said Scharzhofberger yet.
A

1 Like

I’ll take Morstein, please.

I’ll take a hectare of the Haardter Mandelring that’s planted to Scheurebe.

Strangely, and I speak mostly of Prum, I prefer Graacher to Wehlener.

From Prum, I’m partial to Zeltinger myself. Really wish they made a Kabinett from that vineyard