TN: 2016 Jean-Claude Ramonet Chassagne-Montrachet 1er Cru La Boudriotte

Oh yeah! This is really good.

• 2016 Jean-Claude Ramonet Chassagne-Montrachet 1er Cru La Boudriotte - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Chassagne-Montrachet 1er Cru (6/7/2021)
    Just extraordinary density and sexy fruit. Good acid balance but the ticket here is the exceptional extract. How can a wine at once be refreshing and unctuous? This is gonna be exceptional! Wonderful firm minerals too. I love it.

Posted from CellarTracker

Happy to hear you had a great experience. Had two 14’s of this wine a couple months that were advanced.

You and Michael are really like pushers with these wines. It seems like over the last couple of years, more and more of my red Burgundy purchases are CMs from Ramonet and Moreau. But, in this case I bought this 2016 a while ago so I can just rest easy, really enjoy your note and look forward to drinking mine. [thankyou.gif] [winner.gif] [cheers.gif]

Isn’t this a note on the white? That was my take.

Interesting. I read is has being about the red. Usually think of “sexy fruit” and “unctuous” as being terms used with reds, but you are correct that minerals are more often used with whites. Don posts a lot about CM reds (I never heard of La Cardeuse until he made me crave it a few years back). I guess Don will have to clarify. Difficult when a producer makes great whites and reds.

La Boudriotte = white
Clos de la Boudriotte = red

There is a La Boudriotte red that is different than Clos de la Boudriotte.

4 Likes

There is a La Boudriotte red but this one was white. Sorry I didn’t clarify.

1 Like

Great to see such a positive note, Don, thanks for posting. Haven’t tasted a lot of 16 whites myself…yet.

Sante,

Mike

Rouge or Blanc can easily be determined by clicking on the wine to follow the link to CT. Also, typically CT lists the name as Rouge for CM wines since it’s a predominantly white wine area.

I for one have really found 16 to be a pleasing vintage for my palate. The best seem to have great concentration and viscosity, unctuous is a good descriptor. Acids are lower than usual, but it’s still white burgundy. The wines may not be as long lived as 14/17 but I tend to favor them over 2018s as they hit some of those tropical, even late harvest notes without losing density and without too high alcohols. I know these are broad strokes, but I’ve had the wine Don mentions and agree it’s one of the highlights in 2016 for me

I have a couple of these I got at the crush sale for like $80. Might visit soon.

What’s the difference between the Boudriotte rouge and the Clos de la Boudriotte rouge, other than the 30% or so price differential?

Clos de la Boudriotte is a small area that has been exploited by the Ramonets for some time. It is only red. It is within the Abbey at Morgeot. That is my understanding. Calling Mr. Kelley!

Interesting note and discussion. I’ve had a couple '16 Ramonets and honestly I wasn’t thrilled. I found them fatter/flabbier than I like. I’ve generally preferred '18 whites to '16s. But I have this wine and a few more '16 Ramonet, and I’m certainly not writing them off.

I’ll happily find a home for them if they don’t suit you :wink:

We got into this in a previous thread a year or so ago!

1 Like

Thanks for this. I had a 1964 Pierre Ponnelle Chassagne-Montrachet 1er Cru Clos de la Boudriotte Rouge recently that was quite good - I can’t swear it was 100% pinot (the all-seeing, all-knowing Mr Kelley tipped me off that there might be some grenache in theree) but it was definitely still alive and interesting.

1 Like