TN: 08 Taittinger CdC

awesome wine. Second bottle. Consistent notes. I keep waiting for a $150 price that probably will never come. Better than 08 Dom that is leaner. It’s got gorgeous midpalate fruit. Awesome wine. Creamy citrus and apple. Will last but gorgeous now.

Great wine, and far surpasses the 06/07. Like you, I’m waiting for Godot.

Love 06 for the fruit, but 08 and the acid is my favorite Comtes of the 00s.

I have one on the chopping block for next week.

Thanks for the note.

Last year if you bought from Zachy’s for their black Friday event you could get it at $160, that’s the best price I got for this wine.

Yep, I’m planning on opening my first bottle this weekend too. Very excited to check in on this.

I had a shot for some locally at $150 and passed because of the mixed reports here.

Mixed reports?

It’s gotten nearly universal praise even if it’s overhyped.

I’m not talking about the pro reviews; that’s why I said here. Seem to remember hearing that perhaps they waited too long to disgorge for it to be optimum. Also a report here that it was disjointed out of bottle.

I’m talking about here.

It’s gotten essentially universal praise, and should. It’s a spectacular champagne, on par with the fantastic 08 dom and only fractionally behind the 08 Cristal which is at least 20% more expensive. At the $150 price point it should be an automatic buy.

There seems to only be a few people here who have had it, so it must be a small universe. Read through the thread that I just bumped, and you will see what it is to which I’m referring. I hope that it is great.

This is where access to too many opinions and data points can be detrimental and undermine confidence in your own judgment.

2 Likes

I know exactly what you’re referring to. My point is that you need to understand that many people apparently expected the 08 comtes to be the best champagne ever, which it is not, but that doesn’t mean it isn’t spectacular or an automatic buy at the $150 price point.

Btw the 10 Dom shouldn’t even be in the conversation. I’ve had it 3x since fall and found it insipid and lacking each time. I’d rather drink cuvée st Anne.

I totally agree. I went through the same thing with the 2002 Krug.

Unfortunately, I don’t have unlimited resources. I think my money was better spent buying 2012 Cristal and Krug 168eme.

I have lots of all 3 of those champagnes but if your choices were 12 cristal at $200, and the other two at $150 the CDC is where the smart money is. You could make the argument that if both 12 Cristal and 08 CDC were $200 the Cristal is a better buy; I won’t argue with that.

I’ve had a bunch of 08 and 12 Cristal lately and I don’t agree with William; I think the 08 is better and don’t think it’s close, even though the 12 is very good. I’m excited for the 13 and went very long, though.

100%.

If all three were at $150, and I could only buy one, my choice would be Comtes. No doubt.

But I agree with Sarah. A lot of hand wringing going on here. We are all experienced enough buyers here to drown out the noise, make our choices, and move on.

No regrets, on my part.

I had the '08 Comtes a few weeks ago. Absolutely delicious, with tons of potential for the future. If anything less of the youthful sweet/dosage that I get in younger Comtes. I was expecting it to be good, but not quite that good.

In comparison an '08 Cristal tasted last year was excellent, impressively acidic, and also coiled. Probably the two are close in quality, just dependent on price as to which one to choose.