TN: 1995 Leoville Barton

I grilled up a Flannery ribeye last night, so I decided to open a 375 of 95 Barton to go with it.

I’ve heard a few negative notes about the 95 Barton lately, but forged ahead.

Classic nose with some cedar, earth and currants.

This was very tight on opening and didn’t really loosen up much over a couple hours. There is a lot of acidity and the fruit was pretty shy.

Finish was clipped.

Overall, this tasted pretty shut down despite a couple hours in a decanter and small format…

Some people have said this just isn’t that good. Not sure. I have one more half bottle so I’ll let it sleep for awhile and hope it gets better.

1 Like

I have five 750s left of a six-pack purchased on release. I drank one bottle about 10 years ago, and it was uninspiring. I decided that the best hope for the remaining five was to let them age, and I have not been tempted to open another one since. Based on your note, I guess I’ll just keep ignoring them.

I mean, it was definitely claret, but just nowhere near the experience I had from 86 Sociando the night before. I know there’s an age gap but it was night/day and I figured the smaller bottle might make some difference.

It was just sorta sour and unpleasant to drink.

Bummer, just stood it up yesterday for a dinner tomorrow. Next….

Michael we ended up popping this anyway. I think our bottle showed better, but totally eclipsed by a 96 that I had last month. Would give 3-5 years for my next bottle.