What wine flaw smells like dry aged meat?

Specifically the smell I get when I put some Flannery adventurous blend burgers on the grill. Great in burgers, not so great in wine.

I wouldn’t call it a flaw. A whiff of sulfur will blow off with some air. Personally I enjoy a little funk on my Syrah. Unless you’re talking brett, then a little goes a long way.

1 Like

One person’s bug is another person’s feature. In any case I don’t think it’s a flaw. Syrah and Mourvedre are known for having meat or game scents.

The flaw of… finding what I’m looking for? I love that note!

This was on a white and it was quite overwhelming, I love meaty northern Rhone syrahs but this was a bit different and didn’t really work.

I had a Saumur cab franc last night that I could have sworn included an In-n-Out burger. Also a carbonic bubblegum note. Very odd combo.

Animal style?

1 Like

Look at the guy from Florida busting out the secret menu! [cheers.gif]

Also like that funk from Syrah! [cheers.gif]

That’s unusual. Typically would occur on a white with skin contact because tannins or other phenolics might be the cause. Do you think that may have been the case?

In terms of “spoilage organisms”, Brett. is rare on a white (due to lower pHs, and the fact that most whites are sulfured to a higher degree than reds (to prevent browning, but also helps reduce microorganisms) and filtered).

Mmmmmmm!
I’m so hungry now! I stayed with a high school Buddy in CA while out for business in the late 90’s. He took me to In-N-Out for my first time and ordered Animal Style for us both. Good times!

Son lives in LA….In and Out 1st stop on way home from the airport

Flannery steaks are…a FLAW??

1 Like

I want to eat them with red wine, not taste them in white wine!

I think the flaw is probably Mourvèdre.

the best kind.

So marinade the steak in it and you’ll have perfect wine pairing. [rofl.gif]

[wow.gif] Would you share the label and vintage? I’d like to try it [wow.gif]

I think it’s the bacteria slimjiminus

Sounds like something you could really slip into.