I turn 40 in November and am thinking it might be fun to open a bottle from that year to celebrate. I have little/no experience with wines of this age unfortunately, and from the research I’ve done online, it looks like options may be very scarce. Budget isn’t an issue up to $1000.

Am I out of luck?

Great year for Rioja, could look at a CVNE or Lopez de Heredia Gran Reserva (or both, easily, with that price range). I don’t have much experience with aged Bordeaux but I’ve liked the 1981s that I’ve had, you should also be able to find virtually all classified growths for well under that 1k limit.

1 Like

Pomerol did well, particularly Trotanoy. Chateauneuf also.

As Mark said very good year in Riojs, I’ve really enjoyed Mugs Prado Enea, LdH (Bosconia GR, Tondonia GR and R, as well as the Tondonia GR white), CVNE Imperial GR. Even cheaper Riojas like Beronia are pretty good.

In Bdx I’ve really liked Trotanoy, Pichon Lalande, and La Mish. You could probably get all three for well under $1000.

Agree with the above suggestions and would add that 1981 was a strong vintage for classic CA cabernet such as Dunn, Diamond Creek and Ridge, and is one of my favorites. Well stored bottles are well worth seeking out. You can often find large formats, too, which is fun for a party.

1 Like

Cellartracker gives some interesting insights (average rating given in the last 5 years):

1. Krug Vintage 95.9
  2. Heidsieck Cuvee Charlie 94.3
  3. Beaucastel CDP 94.3
  4. DRC La Tache 94.2
  5. Bodegas Contino Reserva 94.2
  6. Unico 94.1
  7. Penfolds Grange 94.1
  8. Laville Haut Brion Blanc 94.0
  9. Lopez de Heredia Tondonia Gran Reserva 93.9
  10. Jordan Cab Sauvignon Alexander Valley 93.6
  11. Yquem 93.3
  12. Lopez de Heredia Bosconia Gran Reserva 93.2
  13. CVNE Vine Real Reserva 93.0
  14. Pichon Baron 93.0
  15. Heitz Marthas 92.8
1 Like

81 krug has been great across numerous bottles I’ve tried. If you can find some with good provenance that would be the way I would go.

I just read on Instagram that William Kelley is revisiting 81 all year. Maybe follow him and swoop in for some lovelies?

One idea that we have had fun with is using Zodiac years for birthday wines, which also helps for “off” vintages in a particular year. In your case, Year of the Rooster also includes 1969 (Champagne!), 1993 (red Burgundy), 2005 (great in a lot of places, but red Burgundies are probably too early), and 2017 (great for white Burgundies among other places).

1 Like

I have had multiple rewarding encounters of late with the '81 La Mission Haut Brion. Good luck to you!

Jonathan

My favorite vintage ever of Beaucastel. Lots of good Rioja in '81.

I just did '81s two months ago . Up to $1000 means everything is on the table. I personally would try a couple bottles in a flight or work through courses.

• William Kelly just had an 81 La Tache and is doing “research” on 81 burgs this year… maybe he has other recommendations if you reach out to him.
  • I enjoyed the 1981 PLL Bordeaux, reasonably priced and beautiful. Not the highest of highs, but solid. Some suggest '81s Bordeaux is generally ready to go.
  • '81 Lopez Heredia Rouge can go another two decades
  • '81 Lopez Heredia Blanco was fun to have next to the Rouge
  • '81 Yquem was great with a savory gorgonzola / pear / endive salad… don’t want crazy strong cheese but medium+
  • '81 Cavallotto San Giuseppe was corked; I had another random '81 last year was punching really well so was bummed to not try a better producer
  • Other threads on WB here have mentioned LMHB, Unico, Beaucastle and maybe ?Montrose?

I think key is to buy whatever bottles without enough time to stand them up for a few weeks/months so the sediment is a non-issue.

1 Like

Another vote for Beaucastel and Pichon Comtesse, both excellent.

The 1981 Ridge Monte Bello was singing about 10 years ago and seemed to have a lot of life in it.

There are some lovely Bordeaux, Napa Cabernets, and Champagnes; but the appellation that really excelled in 1981 was Châteauneuf-du-Pape. The brilliant Beaucastel is representative of what was done elsewhere. 1981 Fortia Tête de Cru, for example, was great last month!

1 Like

Wife is '81. Palmer - felt like it was on the downhill slide but decent, LLC - double decanted before restaurant and needed a lot of air still and was gone before it really opened, little green but decent, La Mish - needs air but fantastic, Beaucastel - best Beaucastel I have ever had, Cos - double decanted a magnum before going to restaurant - maybe needed more air, decent.

My rank - Beaucastel, La Mish, LLC, Cos, Palmer

1 Like

I’ve had good luck with champagnes, especially Dom Ruinart and Bollinger RD.

It’s been a few years, but '81 Vieux Telegraphe was fantastic, too.

This is a fun idea, thanks!

1 Like

Hadn’t thought about magnums, tbh, but that’s a great idea - thank you!