PSA - Grand Reserve Mastercard

Just a quick PSA here…

I happened to notice a few charges on my card that were pending, but not at a vendor I recognized. The details showed that the transactions were occurring in person, in Miami, which I am very far away from (in Dallas). This has happened to me before with another issuing bank so it was pretty clear what was happening.

I ended up canceling and reissuing the card.

Just a heads up that for those of us that have the card you might want to check the activity. I imagine my card wasn’t the only card that was a part of this.

JM

No charges from Miami, but someone has been buying a lot of wine, guess that was me.

2 Likes

[rofl.gif]

Mine looks clean. Lotta wine and restaurants, but those were me.

Jeff, yours might have been compromised at a merchant you used. I’ve had that happen before, just not with this card.

I don’t think this has anything to do with the type of card it is.

1 Like

They’re testing your card. I’ve had this happen a number of times.

far more likely that a merchant was breached than at the issuer/network level.

to the extent one can use them - google pay/apple pay reduce those problems, as well as using 1 time codes if the bank supports that. Citi unf for just killed that off for their stable.

saving cards at merchants/sites is a big problem , but in some cases difficult to avoid, since some vendors require it (pharma for example)

if you have multiple cards, assigning certain tasks to some of them can make recovering from a breach easier. (i.e. monthly subscriptions, auto pays etc.) for in person small dollar purchases (like coffee etc.) one can also put lower limits on a card for that purpose. some banks also have phone apps to turn on/off cards instantly, which can also help, especially when traveling, which I find to be a huge problem for hacks, and an inconvenient time to lose that payment options.

Totally agree…we just all use the same merchants :slight_smile: