TN: 2010 Levet - La Chavaroche - Cote Rotie

Man, this is still VERY tightly wound and unevolved. Decanted about two hours ahead and then consumed over a couple of hours.

Classic Cote Rotie scents from the get-go, when I decanted – like what I remember from my CR-drinking days in the 80s. Just a trace of reduction. But also something quite piercing on the nose, a foreshadowing of the acidity on the palate. The ITB friend I shared this with said it was almost more like a sensation than a scent. In any event, it signaled that the fruit would be more reddish than dark, at least at first.

In the mouth, this is still moderately tannic and the acid is bracing. Ground lamb kebab and some tomato-based accompaniments helped. But the fruit was slow to emerge. The structure dominated for a while. Finally, it began to flesh out to a mix of fruits – ripe red plum, some ripe, dark cherries. The ripeness (not at all overripeness) at that point was a surprise given how reserved it had been.

I first had this five years ago, when a friend snagged a bottle leftover from a store tasting. It was stunning two days after it had been opened. I think it will get back to that point. There is a lot of great, pure fruit here. It’s like a 95 mph fastball that’s headed straight through the strike zone but is still some distance from the plate. I probably won’t open another bottle for five years.

I’d say 90.3 points now, but I’m hopeful this will inch up to the 95-ish level.

5 Likes

Appreciate it. I have 4 bottles but they are well and truly buried. I doubt Indiana Jones could unearth them.

I think that’s the best course. (I, too, have four more.)

1 Like

You are a brave soul! I have not touched this or Clape, Jamet, or many others, except recently a Benetiere that was quite grumpy! The 2010 vintage needs lots of time!

Thank you for the awesome note. Love love Levet. When do we think '10 will be ready if ever?

Like I said, I’ll (try to) hold off another four or five years before the next bottle.

Oh, OK, … maybe three years. But I don’t think it will be near its prime then. Only a bit more open and giving, I hope.

Whatever happened to “The Rule of Fifteen”? Silly Wabbit.

Thanks John

I have one stood up for winter lunch with friends today, having walked Cote Rotie a number of times, this always sticks out as one of the most interested parcels

MT

Thanks for taking one for the team John. I think I’ll hold mine for a while as well :slight_smile:

I’d watch that movie.

1 Like

I wouldn’t expect this to be fully mature, but it’s oddly disjointed now, with the fruity mostly hidden behind acid and some tannin, despite some nice aromatics. If it had simply closed down – showing little on the nose, say – I wouldn’t have been surprised.

Indiana Jones and the Secret of Chavaroche

1 Like

I almost pulled this from the offsite, glad I didn’t.

2 Likes

Smart move. These 2010s are burly!

1 Like

I had a 2010 Journaries recently, which was much more open than I expected. So there may be movement….

Indiana Jones and the Journaries to the Center of the Earth

3 Likes

Anyone crack one of these recently? Any progress, or “steady lads” until “rule of 15” achieved?

15, or 25? :wink:

Here my note from last year on the 2010 Les J:

Hah that makes sense.
Back to the cellar with you lot!