TN: 2017 Caroline Morey Santenay Les Cornières

Very recently for the first time ever I came across a retailer with some of “Mrs. PYCM’s” wines available and I did not want to miss the opportunity. I have loved the little I have tried from PYCM but am yet to try a red. While I am more interested in the whites indeed this one from Caroline Morey was inexpensive enough so it felt like a no-brainer to give it a go. Glad I did as it is just a lovely, classy Pinot with no extra weight or harsh edges.

• 2017 Caroline Morey Santenay Les Cornières - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Santenay (11.6.2021)
    Popped and poured slightly chilled. Very attractive on the nose with a good deal of tangy cherry-laden fruit, obvious yet appropriate woody tones, some sous bois and just a little bit of funk. Very brightly red toned, very vivid. On the palate it is most approachable with nice volume and a pretty supple texture. Slightly tight and nervous even with splendidly refreshing acidity and some grip on the finish. Very pure in its red-fruited expression with again very appropriate use of oak and some spiciness. While easy-going and highly drinkable it also has a serious side to it and it seems to be gaining more grip as it goes. A terrific, affordable bottle of Burgundy delivers pretty good bang for the buck all things considered.

Posted from CellarTracker

1 Like

Have a few bottles of the 2014. Similar experience; always tight at first, but gains richness as it sits in the glass. Partially serious, but mostly crushable.

Nice to hear! Have you tried any vintage of the red Grèves? It’s slightly more expensive but not prohibitively so, I am wondering if I should shell out for it.

I’ve only tried the 17 of this last year, very good wine. Lightly extracted style, light red and almost translucent in colour. Not much structure to speak of but it has an elegance and prettiness to the red fruits that I enjoy in Burgundies. Was told by the importer that 17 was an exception because of the cooler year.

Thanks for the input Melvin. I might just pick up a bottle of that and/or the 2018 as both are available. I have the white 2018 Grèves already in the cellar, I suppose these no need to wait for too long before opening that one.

This is probably the first time I’ve heard the warm and dry 2017 vintage (with the harvest starting already in late August) described as a “cooler year”.

It was cooler compared to 2018, but that’s about it.