TN: 2019 Carlisle Zinfandel Sonoma County (USA, California, Sonoma County)

• 2019 Carlisle Zinfandel Sonoma County - USA, California, Sonoma County (6/12/2021)
    My first foray with Carlisle wines and I’m impressed. Black and blue fruit. Blackberry, tart black cherries, blueberries. Fresh and vibrant with good concentration and acidity. Unmistakably a high octane wine, but despite ringing in at 15%, it doesn’t feel hot or out of balance. Was a delight to sip on on an overcast summer afternoon. Enjoyable now, but for those with the patience, 2-3 years in bottle before opening would do nicely.

ABV: 15%
Steam: Gabriel Glas StandArt
Closure: Stelvin
Decant: ~30min
Assemblage: 46% Sonoma Valley Zinfandel, 35% Russian River Valley Zinfandel, 15% Dry Creek Valley Zinfandel, 2% Sonoma Valley Alicante Bouschet, 2% Sonoma Valley Petite Sirah. pH: 3.67, TA: 6.7 g/L, 724 cases produced

4 Likes

Rodrigio, Thanks or the note. This wine has to be one of the best zin values going. I just drank my last bottle of the '12 vintage of this wine and it was still delicious.

I’m not a big zinfandel drinker, but this bottle had me wanting to explore the variety a bit more, especially those with some bottle age to them.

Great minds and all that!
Got into a bottle of 2018 last night. Your instinct on bottle age is correct, imo. I like to hold onto the Sonoma bottling for a year before I get into it. I’ve finally built up enough inventory with Carlisle that I don’t have to tear into them as soon as I get them.

We had the 2017 Friday night. Drinking right in our wheel house. Excellent.

You inspired me to open a 2014 last night.

Searing acidity and bright red fruit - took about 1 hr to calm down but then very enjoyable. Red raspberry and some cherry, not complex but lingering flavors. No heat, almost like a big, spicy pinot. Looking forward to trying the second 1/2 of the bottle (poured into a split on opening) soon.

I have a strong preference for aged wines and I have found Carlisle Zins age very gracefully. The problem is keeping my hands off of them so they survive to adulthood. I am fortunate to have gotten on the Carlisle mailing list in '04 so have been able to enjoy a lot of their wines with good cellar age.

The Carlisles I keep buying:
Carlisle Vineyard-This is a special property that just rings like a bell. Just the most gorgeous expression of Zin fruit that I’ve found (yes I know it’s a blend, but it’s a high % of zin). If there is a more gorgeous fruit expression of Zin I’ve yet to find it. Great for drinking young although it would age fine. Had the 17 last night with my wife and grilled chicken and it was a goner in no time.

Montafi-A darker rendition with power and complexity and great richness. Stunning complexity and great value.

Enjoy.