2019 Symington Vintage Port Review

2019 SYMINGTON VINTAGE PORT REVIEW

I won’t get into a long-winded speech about how the vintage went. It’s pretty easy to find that from a variety of Port producers, large and small, from all areas of the rather large Douro region. Suffice it to say, it was a rather erratic and dry growing season that saw some much needed rain in late August. Then harvest went on and on and on, turning into one of the longest in recent memory. Only two of these Ports will be released later this year, Senhora da Ribeira and Vesuvio. The other four will be held back and aged at the winery then released at some point in the future. The Symington’s, among others, chose not to “Declare” this vintage and they clearly made the right call. All the Ports were tasted non-blind, in random order, each day over 5 days. Most days they were tasted twice a day to chart any changes.

2019 Cockburn’s Quinta dos Canais Vintage Port
This started out very high-toned and acidic and while pleasant was not showing what this vineyard is capable of. This started out as my least favorite of all the 6 Ports. As the old saying goes, what a difference a day makes. In this case, quite the stunning turn as it shed that hi-toned fruit in favor of elegant rich black stone fruit, plums, well placed tannins and lots of searing acidity. The elegance and depth of the complexity of this really stands out. Perhaps one of the best examples of Canais in some time.
93-94 Points
2019 Warre’s Quinta da Cavadinha Vintage Port
Starting off slightly softer and sweeter than I recall for Cavadinha, with lush berries and eucalyptus dominating the mouth. Then it all got smacked around by massive wave of late arriving tannins that packed quite the punch. As this got more air, the fruit became more and more expressive. It seamlessly stitched itself together from the front end to the finish and evolved into one fantastic Vintage Port. A bit bolder than I recall for Cavadinha, but my goodness does this one have all the right stuff.
94-95 Points

2019 Dow’s Quinta do Bomfim Vintage Port
Dry black fruit, menthol, granite, tea leaves, drying tannins and then cedar on a rather long finish. Noticeably drier on the palate than the others, which is remarkable as a couple others have lower baumé. And let me not forget to mention that racy acidity, yowza! This went through a couple of dips over the 5 days but kept coming out better for it. It clearly needs some time in bottle to truly show what it has to offer.
93-94(+) Points

2019 Dow’s Quinta da Senhora da Ribeira Vintage Port
Noticably sweeter entry with a more woodsy and rugged “old-school” side to it. Even though also a Dow’s, it could not have been more different than the Bomfim. Lots of chocolate, menthol and licorice, which started up front and carried through to the end. Where this really shined was the depth of that dark fruit and the complexity of it all. This was firing on all cylinders from day 1 and never let go of its lead. A remarkable Port!
95-96 Points

2019 Quinta do Vesuvio Vintage Port
Semi-sweet bright red fruit with some green stems lying just underneath. The fruit is softer and this lacks the depth of recent vintages of Vesuvio. It did firm up a little with time but never quite came round. Perhaps I’m just being a bit harsh after a run of fantastic vintages. This was still an enjoyable bottle, but one for mid-term drinking.
91-92 Points

2019 Graham’s Quinta dos Malvedos Vintage Port
This had a wonderful mix of tea leaves, tobacco, chocolate, dusty tannins and darker fruits that changed to red fruits by the finish. The first day the tannins overshadowed the fruit on the finish. Thankfully they softened and allowed the fruit to come to the front as the days went on. A softer styled Malvedos that was rather backwards at first and needs some time in bottle to come around. Holding this one for later release is a good call as I think it will be better off for it.
91-92(+) Points

3 Likes

Thanks for the notes, Andy, they are very helpful. I found a renewed interest in Port when we went to visit Oporto in 2017, even though most of the recent vintages will certainly outlive me. Bottles for our son and daughter!

Ed

I promised myself no more new release Ports, but those Dow wines sound very enticing.

Ed,
You’re welcome. And very lucky kids!

David,
They were but don’t forget the Cavadinha and Canais :slight_smile:

andy velebil wrote:
You’re welcome. And very lucky kids!

Andy, they were born in 1994 and 1997 so I really hope they appreciate Port, because they already have a lot that have been cellared for them! [cheers.gif]