TN: 2012 Radio-Coteau Pinot Noir La Neblina (USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Coast)

• 2012 Radio-Coteau Pinot Noir La Neblina - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Coast (6/12/2021)
    Decanted via an aerating funnel and consumed over the course of 90 minutes. Medium garnet color, long legs, cherry and light plum aromas, with cherry and garrigue on the palate. Medium tannin. While not super complex, this is drinking well right now–which is a marked improvement from what I observed a few years ago when I found it tart/harsh/acidic and barely drinkable (which I have observed in several wines from this producer). Today, I’m enjoying a softened profile that drinks well on its own, and pairs nicely with herb roasted chicken. Although one can easily question the investment of seven years of cellar time for a wine at this price point, I’m glad I had the space and time to hold it as this is a nice PN at the $45 release price.

I doubt that it will continue to improve markedly, so I think you should drink now or within ~3-4 years. I sure as heck wouldn’t cellar it to 2035 as CT suggests it can handle. While it may be drinkable at that point, it’s just not complex enough for that sort of investment in time. (91 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Thank you for this note. Radio Coteau was the first list I got on, and a sentimental favorite but I’ve noticed that both their syrahs and pinots age inconsistently. Lots of bottle variation.

1 Like

I agree. Some amazing wines, but also some that fall apart. Kinda like Copain.

1 Like

Yep–I agree with both of you. Coincidentally, Radio Coteau was also the first list I got on and I bought three mixed cases in my exuberance over getting an allocation [oops.gif] . The wines have been maddeningly inconsistent, although I’m finding that most have finally improved since the initial purchase in 2013. My sense is that many of my RC wines were pretty angular on release and they went into a closed phase thereafter. Most seem to have softened and are waking up after a seven year nap, so I’m glad that the cellar time wasn’t wasted.

1 Like

I find these wines amazing, and am persistently surprised they don’t get more acclaim. They get high scores from Galloni and some other critics, but seem not to be part of most people’s canon of elite CA Pinot or Chardonnay. They are very much in the Ceritas mold, which is high praise. I prefer them to Peay, although I like Peay a lot.

I have been on their mailing list since their first or second commercial vintage, so 20 years now. Eric was a good winemaker in the early days, but he is a much, much better winemaker now. The recent releases have an immense clarity and detail that was not present in the first decade. He is also benefiting from greater control over his vineyards (including substantial estate fruit) and better vine age. Also, there was a period in the mid 2000’s when the wines were noticeably riper (not really to their benefit, but a recent 2007 Timbervine Syrah was amazing), but since at least 2012 the wines have been very consistent to my palate.