Some wines in Reno with fellow Berserkers

A group of six of us had dinner, including fellow Berserkers Glenn Bienstock and Zachary Mancini. Glenn brought a nice 2011 Rhys Skyline Vineyard syrad and Zach brought a 2018 Raen Winery Pinot Noir Fort Ross-Seaview Zach’s pinot still had some sharp edges from being so young but it had nice red fruit and considerable elegance. The Rhys had nice meatiness and some herbs. I’ll let them describe their wines in more detail.

• 2004 MacPhail Pinot Noir Goodin Vineyard - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Coast (6/12/2021)
    CellarTracker! lists dozens of bottles of this in inventories. The good news is that despite a couple of gloomy reviews, this wine is still good. Probably past its peak, but still enjoyable. I took this to a dinner for six of us, including two others in the Wine Berserkers board.
    Darke fruit on the nose and dark cherry and dark raspberry on the palate. The acid is distinct, suggesting that some of the fruit has faded. Tasted a little smokey at first but that disappeared after a half hour or so. Oerall it has aged elegantly and the finish is good. So the 13.2 percent wine held up.
    Wine Enthusiast wrote: “Doesn’t seem like an ager, but could surprise.” It did surprise.
    It’s no getting any better, so drink now.
2 Likes

Fun times and great to meet Zach.

I enjoyed the aged qualities from MacPhail, complex and interesting.

2011 Rhys Skyline Syrah has aged well. Meaty, mineral and well balanced, reminiscent of a Northern Rhone and my WOTN.

2018 Raen PN had ample PN fruit and good mouthfeel.

2018 Gundlach Bundschu Mountain Cuvee, a Merlot Cab blend offered plummy herbal Merlot notes and good balance.

1 Like

Thanks again for the invite Glenn. Bummed I could not make it but looking forward to the next one

I am thinking of going to Zozo’s next month and will follow up with you. Twisted Fork was very good.

The 04 Pinot was amazing! The 18 Raen is definitely young but tasted decent as well. Was a great time!