Family dinner with Burgundies

Hello everyone,

After multiple years of lurking, initially at the bulletin board, then at Wine Berserkers, i thought it was time to contribute as well… [cheers.gif]

During the weekend, we had a nice family dinner before going to Burgundy this week champagne.gif (the first time in two years because of the pandemic).

Before dinner we started with a wonderful and crisp Meursault:
2017 Pierre Boisson Meursault 'Les Grands Charrons’
Nose of citrus fruit, a faint hint of vanilla, pineapple, and a hint of butter.
The palate is very crisp, with wonderful acidity and lots of citrus fruit. The pineapple also appears on the palate. Young but drinking great!

Then for the first dish, Kamchatka Crab salad we had:
2016 Julien Gros Corton-Charlemagne
Initially a very persistent nose of toasted sesame seeds. Then with some time, gooseberries and a hint of green apples.
The palate is mineral driven and quite persistent. There is a saline quality to the palate which is very nice. The fruit has a sweetness to it and the fruit seems more green than yellow. The wine opened up more and more during the night. This is very young and in need of some time.

The main course was ‘pintade au vinaigre facon bourguignonne’. Two wines were served:
2015 Georges Noëllat Vosne-Romanée Premier Cru 'Les Petits Monts’
A volatile streak on the nose, then strawberries and red cherries, violets after some time in the glass. The wine definitely needs some air, and the volatile elements diminishes with time in the glass.
The palate is very fruit driven, on the warmer side, though not sur-maturité. Both red fruit but also quite a bit of blue fruit. Some vosne spices, soft and pleasing palate. A very enjoyable wine, though the volatile nose is a minus…

2015 Gérard Mugneret Chambolle-Musigny Premier Cru 'Les Charmes’
Initially a little shy on the nose. Then fine red cherries, spices, black tea.
The palate is dominated by finely chiseled elegant red fruit, quite a lot of tannins on the more astringent side, some dry extract. Black tea as well on the palate. Blossomed when paired to the dish (guineafowl). This is still very young.

After dinner, I opened one more bottle:
2016 Coquard Loison-Fleurot Charmes-Chambertin
Initially a whiff of reduction. Then quite sauvage - blood and meat. The aromas are balanced by a wonderful core of red cherries.
The palate is very balanced between red fruit, good but very fine grained tannins, and acidity. This is very young but actually very enjoyable now. Somehow i found it more refined than the 14, which i recall was somewhat more ‘sinewy’ and with a less elegant tannic structure…

Santé!

Very nice.

Welcome to the board and I am sure we’ll look forward to more notes

Welcome Mathias.

Welcome. Who is Julien Gros and how does he fit into the Gros family that has been so prominent over the years in Burgundy? Thanks.

Welcome. Thanks for the very good notes. Please keep posting.

lucky family. Welcome.

Dear Mathias,

Interesting notes indeed. Being a great G NOELLAT fan it was extra to find notes on a 2015 of Maxime’s. Just wondered why you drank them so early. 2015 is a vintage I would not dream of touching now. Still, thank you for contributing.

SINCERELY JOHAN

Johan, I would say the contrary - all my Vosne 2015s from Noellet are already gone. Very flashy wines from the outset, sweet, red fruited. Not talking by GC wines.

Thank you all for the kind welcome greetings!

Regarding Julien Gros:
He is a young winemaker bases in Premeaux-Prissey. I think 2016 was actually his first vintage. He is making a red and white Savigny, a Corton-Charlemagne from the lieu-dit Les Languettes and two different Corton Clos du Roi bottlings under his own label, but i think he is also becoming more involved in the family Domaine. I do not think he is related to the Gros family of Vosne.

Regarding the ‘young age’ of the wines:
Yes, they were certainly on the young side, but i guess i was curious😉
I do think though, that Maxime’s 15 wines have been very exuberant and fruit forward. I actually think his Bourgogne rouge 2015 was maybe better 2 years ago, though this is not the case for his vosne village and upwards. His 2016 wines (at least the ones i have tastes) though have been very shut down…
Mugneret was clearly too young. The CLF was very young but surprisingly open.

1 Like