HUGE Price Increases at Bern's - 200%-500% Increases on Wine!

I ate at Bern’s a few days ago and was shocked when I saw the prices on many of the wines. Bottles that were $30-40 on the list in 2019-2020 are now $150+! It’s like Bern’s saying “F*** You” to the customer. See for yourself:
Berns.PNG.jpg

9 Likes

Are the 2021 wines listed current marketplace prices on Cellartracker and wine-searcher?

2 Likes

No, they are the new wine list prices at Bern’s.

3 Likes

For example:

Worth a try, I suppose. I went to a restaurant that got rid of their happy hour. Plenty of people want to get out and spend full price.

4 Likes

Well, crap.

1 Like
2 Likes

Lot of rich people in Florida not paying any income taxes, they can afford it.

It’s been trending higher and higher for some time, all inevitable.

1 Like

It sounded as though they still had a lot of aged wine from producers that might be worth a flyer at their previous prices, but less likely to move at what appears to be the new prices.

-Al

I’m the first to admit that I don’t know their business and they should. But you have to figure that a sizable percentage of their customer base went to Berns because it was Berns, not because it was a great steakhouse. They are sitting on a sunk cost – that amazing cellar – but as Al points out, how are they going to liquidate it at those prices? Wine aside, I am pretty sure there are better steakhouses in town.

3 Likes

My Bern’s sample size is roughly 10-12 visits over the last twenty years, and virtually always in a private room. But from going in and out, restroom visits, cocktails in the bar, etc., it seemed like 90% of the tables were drinking the same things you’d see at Ruth’s Chris or similar places. Sometimes cocktails, and if wine usually nothing that would get posted on WB. They have a pretty amazing business that has wide appeal.

4 Likes

Agree, we have been going at least once a year for the last 10 years and I’ve definitely noticed the upward trend.

1 Like

download.jpg

2 Likes

I got to go once, in 2018. Got to try some cool old wines that I would have never had otherwise. So I’m glad I got to go once, but I won’t be back at that pricing.

1 Like

Yep
No longer a wine destination for us.

1 Like

This really saddens me. I got engaged at Bern’s many years ago (in the dessert room after dinner) and have been back a few times. I was going in a few months. Has their BTG selection also increased?

I think that statement is ludicrous. They have been selling mature wines for years at way below market price. Maybe they’ve struggled through Covid and needed to raise prices. No matter, good for them if they can get the new prices.

7 Likes

The number one selling wine at Berns is Caymus. The Somm told me they go through something like 40 cases a week. You are correct that most people that go there are not there for the same wines we were there for.

2 Likes

I doubt I’ll be going there unless in Tampa, too far from Clearwater Beach for what it is.
I suppose the deep cellar was partly a result of customers not drinking the wines.

2 Likes

No state income tax but the Lion’s Share of income taxes in this country are federal, FYI.

2 Likes