Oregon Winery Recommendations

I was able to negotiate for one day (and maybe a morning) of wine tasting in McMinnville on the 5th. I fear I am a bit late to scheduling things (no restaurants available!), plus it is still COVID… so many wineries are not available for tasting.

Any suggestions for 4-5 wineries to check out for primarily for reds/wineries that do 10AM tastings? I enjoy Oregon reds when they have crystalline pure fruit, supple texture, and structure (tannin + acid)… more old world than new world in style. I think more Ribbon Ridge than Dundee…

Ideally would skip: I have previously tasted at Kelley Fox, Patricia Green, White Rose, Winderlea and Walter Scott, and would like to try something new.

Booked: Goodfellow

Not available: Cameron (closed to public), Eyrie (COVID closure), Brick House (no availability), 00 (closed to public), Beaux Freres (not available at our times), Evesham Wood (closed on days), Big Table Farm (may be closed)

Reached out to: Thomas (I would love to do this, but I am not on the mailing list… need to put a flyer out on Commerce Corner to source some!), Sequitur, Lingua Franca and Rose & Arrow. ** correction Arterberry Maresh is available **

Others: Wondering if anyone knows much about Hope Well (they have great distribution) and Divio. Is Adelsheim worth visiting?

If u make it to lingua franca. Hit up cristom.

These are a bit of a drive from mcminv tho.

1 Like

Try Martin Woods.

1 Like

Some inspiration:

https://wineimport.discoursehosting.net/t/teeny-tiny-wineries-of-oregon/140191/1

1 Like

Rose and Arrow?

Flaneur
Hazelfern
Ayres
Tim Malone
EIEIO
DePonte
Belle Pente

To name a few.

1 Like

Love and Squalor.
Suzor.

1 Like

“Rose and Arrow?”

Is there any there there?

The wine is sourced from tiny sub-plots, and I tend to doubt there is any chance to visit unless you know someone.

Westry
Durant
Grochau

I just came back from a quick trip to the Willamette Valley and was able to get appointments at Shiba-Wichern, Goodfellow, Westrey, Suzor, and Vincent. All of them were excellent and very welcoming. I’d highly recommend any of them. Here is my brief write up:

https://www.wineberserkers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=3278501#p3278501

1 Like

Hey Peter… they actually had tasting appointments precovid shut down. We were planning to go in the spring last year but of course that didn’t work out.
but yes, they have tastings… not sure if they are open now. but they definitely did before.

We tasted at Rose & Arrow in September during Covid. They taste in Dundee near the Red Hills Market. We did not have an “in”. We just emailed.

1 Like

Hopewell is Mimi Casteel’s project (2nd generation in the family behind Bethel Heights). She is always worth talking to if you get the chance. (There is an interview with her a few years back on Levi Dalton’s I’ll Drink to That, for a preview)

In addition to some of the other recommendations I would put in Hundred Suns

1 Like

I’d check out Vincent, really worth your time.

1 Like

Thanks Max. I will reach out. May I ask why you think they are worth the time?

Thanks Megan. Hundred Suns looks doable logistics wise and I reached out. Are you able to shed some light onto the Hope Well wine style against any comparisons, say versus Goodfellow, Kelley Fox, or Lingua Franca (looks like she works with Lingua Franca)? Reached out to Mimi as well, but like Vincent the logistics may prove difficult.

Thank’s Randy. What were your impressions of the wines?

Belle Pente, Vincent, Ayres

RT

1 Like

Domaine Divio is nice, genuinely friendly, relaxed. Whites are better than the reds. The estate reds are very young vines and a good deal of their other juice is from purchased grapes. We were at a tasting event there late last month.

1 Like

Not only are his wines great, but the way he talks about and presents everything is pretty unique. Even my wife was captivated by him, and she just wants to drink the wine.

Are you looking at Monday, July 5? Besides your booked appointment at Goodfellow, that might be difficult considering it’s a Monday and a day after a holiday. Megan’s advice of Hundred Suns is terrific. I’m assuming that Hundred Suns is still tasting in McMinnville, so that makes perfect sense logistically. Hundred Suns produces a Sequitur Pinot Noir, so there’s a link to the Ribbon Ridge as well. Brittan would be another option in McMinnville, but they were typically closed on Monday’s pre pandemic. They have reopened, but I don’t know their schedule. I have tasted with Brian at Belle Pente during a few first AM appointments. Enjoy your visit.

James

Bookings are done:
Arterberry Maresh
Rose & Arrow
Goodfellow
Hundred Suns
Lingua Franca
Have room for maybe 1 more (possibly Vincent) but taking a breather from planning for now!

Thank you all for the suggestions. [cheers.gif] [cheers.gif]

1 Like