TN: 2017 Goodfellow Family Cellars Pinot Noir Heritage No. 9 Durant Vineyard

• 2017 Goodfellow Family Cellars Pinot Noir Heritage No. 9 Durant Vineyard - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley, Dundee Hills (6/15/2021)
    I didn’t plan to open another bottle of this so soon, but things happen. Tasted over the course of 48 hours the effect of Dundee Hills (as compared to Ribbon Ridge) is quite clear. While still transparent, the Durant is deeper and earthier. The structure is evident, and in balance with the dark red fruit. While an imprecise comparison, this is the Pommard to the Whistling Ridge Volnay. Neither is Burgundy (nor should they be), but the two sites speak with a different emphasis, Durant being the more muscular, and Whistling Ridge more lithe, yet still strong. Now I just have to avoid opening my last bottle of this vintage in the next six months. The wine deserves a lot of time to evolve and show all the facets that are currently underneath the youthful fruit.

Posted from CellarTracker

3 Likes

Thanks David.

I don’t think I could better describe the differences between these two terrific pinots. I sent mine to offsite to protect them.

Cheers,

Thanks for the note David. I don’t plan on opening any of mine for some time.

Durant is really something. I generally don’t go for Pinot this dark-fruited/muscular, preferring more of the Whistling Ridge/Volnay expression as you call it. But there’s something about this vineyard and the winemakers who work with it that… just works for me. Marcus of course but also Patricia Green- just love these wines.