Always running low on Chardonnay...any reccs for an 'in between'?

With the nationwide heat wave, our seemingly continuous lack of Chardonnay is becoming evident. Unfortunately my wife isn’t into Oregon Chardonnay like I am, still preferring RRV/Carneros for the most part, as it is more unctuous, richer than the crisp, flinty Oregon Chardonnay I love so much.

Many might remember my 2019 ‘New Years Wine Resolution’ to buy more Chardonnay, and I have…but my cellar still consists of 84% red wine, 16% white (and not all Chardonnay, of course).

We both used to like Dehlinger, but now that I’ve gone to the dark side of Willamette Valley, I find it tiresome and fat. Damn tastes changing! Another my wife likes is the single vineyard Patz & Hall Chardonnays, and Hartford Court - both of which now are in the camp as Dehlinger now finds itself.

Any reccs for something in the middle of the two? Something with more energy and acidity for me, but also the richness for my wife’s tastes?

William Kelley tipped Instagram followers off to Alfaro Trout Gulch. To my palate, and more importantly my girlfriend’s, this walks the line you’re talking about.

On it, thanks - we’ll see, as my wife is picky (except about husbands, where there she obviously settles easily)

1 Like

Ramey Fort Ross/Seaview (formerly known as Sonoma Coast)

1 Like

Yeah, I almost wrote that I was going to seek out Ramey, particularly Sonoma Coast (thanks for the tip on Fort Ross/Seaview), as it’s been years since I had it but always used to enjoy it. Fortunately that’s widely available so I can pick that up at grocery stores and the like

The Ramey RRV bottling is usually a touch richer to my palate, and may thread the needle for your wife.

Dehlinger was as rich as I could go, now it’s far too rich for my palate, and the Patz & Halls same thing - not enough of that bracing, energetic acidity that keeps it interesting to me. Definitely will pick up some Ramey and give it another go, thanks. Always loved it, no clue why I stopped buying it

Rivera Marie fits that bill nicely.

Todd, a recent exposure to the 2018 Croix 12 Rows Ritchie Vineyard RRV Chardonnay made by Kirk Venge may be a tweener that works. It certainly has lots of bright acidity and loads for energy.
Cheers

This may sound odd but… Antinori Bramito fits this need pretty well.

Is it going hold your interest for the evening? Probably not. But it rides a great line between weight and acidity. Not a fruit bomb, great energy, and just enough roundness for a malo lover. It’s always been crowd-pleasing for anyone on the Chard spectrum in our house.

Liquid Farm Golden Slope? I find it to be decently big/rich, but not overdone and with nice acidity. I don’t drink OR Chardonnay though, so maybe my opinion is relative to very rich CA Chardonnays.

I joined the Landmark “chardonnay only” club for just this reason. Virtually no mention of them on this board, but they are nice B/B+ wines and won’t break the bank as week night drinkers. I’m going to have one tonight with the seasonably mild temps in Las Vegas at 115, which is perfect hockey weather. I was doing Hartford for a while when I could get them on sale. Landmark makes a number of chards across the spectrum. The basic wines (Overlook and Damaris) are surprisingly good.

1 Like

I just came here to see if anyone said, “Drink some other white wine.” Guess I might have to be that guy!

But also maybe you can drink some sparkling wines to expand your hot weather choices, maybe a toastier blanc de blancs. That might make everyone happy.

Now, for my list of Albarino and Verdejo… [whistle.gif]

From BD12, still for sale.

Flowers, Hirsch, Peay? I find a lot of that true Sonoma Coast stuff out there in the mountains to slot nicely between rich and stony.

1 Like

Interesting - that could work, Jen loves the stuff

We recently enjoyed a 2016 Grgich Hills Estate Napa. Excellent wine in mid-30’s and it may be something that offers the chardonnay middle ground that you are looking for.

Try my Grenache Blanc - it’ll do the trick . . .

Cheers

Every single vineyard Kumeu River Chardonnay I’ve had has over-delivered. I did not care for their entry level “Village” bottling.

I was thinking the Roussanne.