Spectrum Wine Auctions

Has anyone purchased from here recently?

I am aware of their connection to Rudy K. back in 2012 and have seen various negative old posts associated with that particular auction, but has anyone used them in the last few years? I use Winebid frequently but see some things on Spectrum from time to time and am thinking about taking the plunge.

I have used it a couple of times and it went ok, however:

• the website design is really poor so I have stopped looking into it
  • most stuff I am looking at is overpriced and pretty much all the bottles are seating there forever. It is not really an auction in that sense

Zero issues. I enjoy how detailed their photos are.

I buy from them intermittently. Process is smooth and there are definitely some deals below the top tier. Yes, the website is extremely weak which is a downside.

They do get some interesting bits from time to time. Option to pickup is great if you are local. Trish & Amy have been really great to work with.

I like that you can add retail wines to you auction winnings with zero additional shipping. Meaning retail wines ship for free when added to auction winnings. For example, adding Walter Scott and Morgen Long from the retail side to your auction winnings with no additional shipping charges is the correct move.

1 Like

Very bad place in the distant past- one of the worst. But in recent years there are quality people over there and they did some outreach to former customers at one point when they turned the ship around.

Several people I trust confirm this is now a solid place to buy and sell.

No issues. Good experiences. Stock slow to turn over sometimes.

I’ve bought a few times in the past. The website is poor, but the wines were all delivered as described without issue. I would buy from them again.

Bought half a case from them. No issues.

I actually don’t have a problem with the website. It’s not particularly modern and it’s a little quirky, but I’ve never had a technical problem. It just works. And that’s more than you can say about many auction sites.

Thanks everyone. I appreciate all the feedback.

I agree, the website is not flashy, but sometimes that can be good.

I’ve had good experiences. Superb condition on the modest number of btls I’ve purchased. But for whatever reason it has probably been a couple years since I’ve bought anything from them.

I’ve had probably 200 orders with them. Had some amazing buys. My only gripe is the regurgitated inventory. 50-80% of the lots don’t sell (either overpriced or just odd bottles) and they show up every week until they sell so it just takes forever to sort through their inventory.

Similar to Brent, I’ve had only great experiences with them over the last 5 years and 200+ bottles purchased. I agree about the website, but actually don’t mind as it makes for more of a ‘Treasure Hunt’ experience and to find the deals that are out there. I hope they don’t change it.

I have noticed a trend over the last year+ that the deals are getting harder to come by, seems that there may be more folks on the site now and willing to bid things up … maybe due to an outlet for pandemic-induced boredom. Will be interesting to see if this trend changes at all going forward.

Also got around 6 - 7 cases… (modest wine, nothing over $150) and all was good… easy to coordinate shipping.

Derek, I quit buying about a year ago from them as I noticed that I could no longer get great or even ok deals. Probably too many people stuck at hone with time and money on their hands and wine on their minds

I quit buying around the same time for the same reason. And because I saw the same wines showing up again and again. In the meantime I’ve still been getting some good deals from Zachys but typically not on trophy type wines. I keep thinking I should check in on Spectrum again because I really did get some super deals on some interesting wine.

I’ve had mixed experiences with them. I’ve scored a number of great bottles from them. I share other’s frustrations with regurgitated inventory. Also, they seem to treat shipping as a profit center. I just got a bill for $72 for ground shipping of a dozen half bottles. This is downright criminal compared to the shipping rates I get from other west coast retailers, for example $42 for a case of 750s from Garagiste.

I get the sense that they buy a lot of cellars and distributor overstock outright then post them at a high reserve and let them sit until they sell.