Taste Champagne 2021 - Help me decide

Hey all,

A Champagne tasting event is coming up and I’d like your help narrowing down the houses I should taste. You can see the full list here:

On my hit list are:

Gimonnet
Pol Roger
AR Lenoble
Moncuit
Billecart-Salmon
Louis Roederer
Ruinart
Brimoncourt
Vincent Vouche
Mouzon-Leroux
Pierre-Jouet
Frank Bonville
Mousse
Drappier
Jacquesson
Seleque
Hebrart
Egly Ouriet
Laherte Freres
Larmandier-Bernier

Anything else I shouldn’t miss? Most of them have their NV on pour plus sometimes a mid-level wine. Tips appreciated!

Edit: Added Couche, Mouzon-Leroux, Franck Bonville, and Perrier-Jouet

Vincent Couche is awesome! If they have his Sensation, don’t miss it!

Thanks!

I checked and they have Elegance NV, Chardonnay de Montgueux NV, Chloe NV, and Millesime 2007. Quite a big selection. Still worth it I guess?

Might still be worth a visit, but the Sensation is on another level to those cuvees. The Sensation is is Vincent’s Couche’s extended lees ageing cuvee. The current release is from '99 having spent 19 years on the lees.

I like the Elegance for the money. I’m not sure if I’ve had the others, but the 2007 sounds like it was on the lees for 12 years, which sounds enticing for me.

I’d start from 32 and go through everything that’s available (Egly-Ouriet, Laherte, Larmandier-Bernier)

Then I’d check if there is any Cristal (9), Winston (2), VVF or RD (4) available.

Then go through these tables:
26 (Moussé, Collin, de Sousa, Drappier)
27 (Jacquesson)
28 (Marc Hebrart)
18 (Vincent Couche)
17 (Veuve Fourny)
2 (Pierre Gimonnet)

After those, I’d go through and check the current quality of some grandes marques, probably skipping any basic NVs if there are any better wines available.

4 (Bollinger)
5 (Billecart-Salmon)
7 (Duval-Leroy)
16 (Pommery)
21 (Deutz)

Thanks guys!

Sounds like a producer who should definitely be on my radar. 19 or 12 years on the lees wets my palate [berserker.gif]

Otto - I had a similar plan in mind. Egly-Ouriet first and then round from there. Unfortunately, pretty much no prestige cuvees. I think the only one is Pierre Jouet’s Belle Epoque.

You can have a look here at the pours here: https://tastechampagne.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2021/05/Taste-Champagne-Australia-2021-Tasting-Book.pdf

I first discovered Vincent Couche with his Extra Brut Millésimé 2007. My last TN described a champagne displaying complexity and richness but still with nice balance overall (easy to drink). I noted that it was quite the QPR. But then, both times I had the 2009 vintage, I was somewhat disappointed. So if it’s the 2007, I would go for it.

The only ones I am not seeing on Otto’s list or on the other recommendations are Vilmart and Mouzon-Leroux.

Has anybody tried Le Brun de Neuville? Looks like a lot of various cuvées to try.

If it was me, I’d tackle all the houses I’ve never tried and have a hard time finding in my market. That way, it saves on travel to Champagne.

Whoops, forgot to add Vilmart. It was definitely on my mental list.

Don’t have experience with Mouzon-Leroux.

Mouzon-Leroux is excellent!

Phil, Otto,

unfortunately Vilmart is not available at the Melbourne tasting. However, I’ve tasted all their NVs already so no big deal!

Thanks for the tip. Added to my list with Vincent Couche and others. I read about Frank Bonville somewhere, perhaps from Brad Baker on this forum, and added him as well!

If it’s the Tyson event, I’ve been disappointed in the past and no longer go. Entry level wines and quite crowded