New AVAs approved in Washington

I just read that an AVA called White Bluffs was just approved in Washington State. There are a couple of noteworthy vineyards inside the new AVA: Bacchus and Dionysus (which, apparently, are part of a larger Sagemoor Vineyard system). It’s situated above the Columbia River, obviously up on the bluffs, as it makes its way North through the state. I think there is only one winery right now inside the AVA, Claar Cellars. Within the last couple of years it seems there has been a rush of new AVAs in Washington with Candy Mountain, Royal Slope, and The Burn of Columbia Valley (can’t stand that name) all approved.

This got me thinking: what’s the right balance of AVAs? How many is too few? Too many? I mean, the Columbia Valley AVA is obviously massive and Red Mountain, while tiny, truly is unique. I’m sure there are differences, but I very rarely make buying decisions by AVA. It’s almost always by vineyard, AVA be damned. Is this also happening in California? Anyway, I thought it was interesting and I’m curious to see where this trend goes.

Yes, the same trend has been happening in California for a while. For example, the Paso Robles was split into 11 sub-AVAs, most of them not familiar to most consumers (see below). Wineries with fruit from the more highly regarded sub regions tend to use the new lableling and are trying to establish AVA identities. Some of the others argued against the proposal since they felt it was confusing to consumers and their sub-AVA would be more difficult to market. Similar things have happened in other AVAs.

Here’s the list:
Adelaida District
Creston District
El Pomar District
Paso Robles Estrella District
Paso Robles Geneseo District
Paso Robles Highlands District
Paso Robles Willow Creek District
San Juan Creek
San Miguel District
Santa Margarita Ranch
Templeton Gap District

-Al

Happy birthday to the White Bluffs AVA. I heared the Columbia Valley AVA is larger than the country of Belgium so it may make sense to define sub-AVAs as long as there is something unique or that at least sets the new AVA off as distinct from the others. Perhaps among some a CV designation is seen as a disadvantage if associated with large-scale and/or commodity producers. If so, that’s an unfortunate perspective but I can understand those ITB with an interest in elevating perceptions of their labors. Cheers.

Royal Slope deserves its own as does Ancient Lakes. Candy Mountain, not so sure. Snipes Mountain is tiny but I think distinct enough.

If there are truly meaningful distinctions then go as detailed as required to address them. One of the things that drives me nuts about Sonoma Coast is how diverse it is. I can’t use the AVA as a guide, and I know the region and producers!

1 Like

If you haven’t listened to it, Levi’s interview with Kevin Pogue (#176) is really interesting when talking about WA AVAs.

Good to know, Marshall. Thanks…I’ll give it a listen.

With as large as the Columbia Valley is finding new AVA’s within should not be hard and should offer some exciting opportunities. I always like more specifics on the labels.