Assorted half dozen with a very great CA Pinot Noir

2018 Hugel Pinot Blanc ‘Cuvee les Amours’ - This is an under-the-radar beauty. The aromas feature Anjou pear with slight undertones of both apple and peach, with a hint of white spice. The palate is nicely rich, but with enough firm balancing acidity. The finish lasts almost half a minute. This is a lovely, subtle, quite rich white wine that is broadly available and very well priced. Rated 90.5.

2018 Finca Reboreda Godello ‘A Telleira’ - Surprising distinctly peachy aromas, with some floral notes. This leads to a rich but restrained palate with the fruit balanced by apple-y acidity. The palate offers greater subtlety than the aromas and this is a satisfying mouthful with a moderately long finish. Rated 89.5.

2018 Chateau Michel de Vert Lussac-Saint-Emilion - Medium ruby color. The aromas are simple red fruit, mostly plums. The wine is light to medium bodied but with a rather hollow middle. The finish is pretty short.
There is nothing wrong with this but nothing much right either. Barely qualified for consumption. Rated 81.

2009 Bertagna Vougeot 1er Cru ‘Clos de la Perriere’ - This is evolving really well. The raspberry character is more red than black, but both are present. There is something a little smoky and also a little mineral. At 12 years, this remains both powerful and young. There is almost nothing secondary about it, other than layers evolving in the texture and a finish that seems quite a bit longer than my last bottle. Rated 92.5, should improve at least two points over the next decade.

2000 Mount Veeder Meritage - A pleasant surprise as the BTG special at Fore Street in Portland, ME. This is quite soft (as expected for the age), with good intensity of black plum Merlot flavors. The palate is light to medium in body, soft and nicely lush. There are tiny hints of black pepper, and autumnal red roses. Rated 92, this should be drunk now as it will fade quickly.

2007 Mount Eden Pinot Noir Santa Cruz Mountains - Still very dark, this offers very intense black cherry aromas, with distinct notes of both flowers (violets), spices and herbs. The palate is very rich but not at all heavy, not quite weightless but headed in that direction. This unfolds in multiple layers and now has a good bit of secondary sous-bois, but is still on the young rather than old side. This manages to be both friendly and regal, with the size and structure of really great wine. My last bottle, I really wish I had a few more. I don’t think this is headed for perfection, but it’s not far off and improvement is possible. Rated 97.

Dan Kravitz

Good notes and an interesting mix. We loved Fore Street and have been recommending it for years to anyone who mentions going to Portland. Really good food and a fun wine list. Great town to eat and drink!

1 Like