Labels

I’m sure this topic gets discussed a lot - more, or less on labels.
But, is this label
a) arrogant
b) modest
c) unhelpful (he makes three or four cuvées).

Compare and contrast to, say, a German label.
3691DC98-4B36-415D-AE54-846709166A7A.jpeg
Ok, so the back label is more informative. And, yes the wine is pretty good, a quite exotic SB blend without heavy handed tropical fruits. Would get the NZ and Loire fanatics arguing I think.
E9D0615B-BB32-437F-85FF-E313AD589690.jpeg

Looks like perfectly fine use of minimalism in my book. In a sea of busy and colorful messes all trying to vie for your attention by screaming loud, calm cleanliness creates interest. I did have someone who said my label was terrible, but most people seem to like the minimalism on them.

For me, the German and French labels are the worst. It’s like they’re crushed by the weight of traditionalism and can’t break free into the modern era.

1 Like

Like Adam, I don’t consider this a bad label by any stretch. I think you need to consider the front and back label in conjunction with each other. As long as the consume gets all the basic information they need from both or either of those that’s fine in my book. I completely understand producers’ desire to use the front label for art to catch consumer attention with either art or a minimalist design and then use the back label for the usual information. Drank a wine from Chanin tonight that was along those lines, no info on the front label but all relevant info on the back label. No issues with it
20210617_222445.jpg
20210617_222433.jpg

I guess this particular wine doesn’t sit on shelves. But, hypothetically, which would you show - front or back? I think I’d like a , minimalist, hint as to what’s in the bottle, not simply who made it. Personally I will store this wine back label up.

Added … I could see this approach if a winery made but a single cuvee.

And, that is a beautiful picture.

To me, it’d depend on what kind of wine shop I ran. If it was one more geared towards younger consumers, then the I’d show the label art, if something geared more towards ‘old school’ shoppers then I’d either still show the label art with a more detailed shelf talker dependent on how the wine shop was organised or opt to just display the back label. While aesthetics are subjective, there is no doubt consumer behaviour is influenced by it.

If you’ve made them grab the wine to read more on the back label, you’ve already engaged. No need to put info on front.

1 Like

There’s a label review board. The label obviously met the requirements otherwise it could not be sold.

The design is De Rigueur for a lot of wines. Have you ever looked at some California wines? Many have a design on the front without much else, for example Saxum.

As Adam said, getting it in someone’s hand is sort of the idea.

Neither - nor …
it s boring

compared to Germany Keller 's are stylish,
In France Ct. Liger-Belair …

The first word that pops up for me is PRETENTIOUS

I enjoy wine labels - traditional, minimalist, artistic. Even some of the weird or odd variety.

TTB sets Mandatory Information on a label for Brand Name; Class/Type; Appellation; % of foreign wine; ABV; Net contents; name/address; sulfite use; health warning; and identification of certain coloring agents (Yellow #5 and Cochineal extract).
I like more info - such as fining/filtering; time of harvest; stem inclusion; percentages of grapes; barrel/tanks; bottling date.

But I also like the minimalist label.
We have different preferences for the contents so no surprise that we have different preferences for labels.

I’m with Adam and Rodrigo. Front label is none of the four choices offered to me. You raise an interesting question for the retailer though: which side goes up/to the front? But whether the label is effective for the producer/retailer is a different question from the one you posed