RIP Dominique Belluard

A fantastic and passionate winemaker. My condolences to his family and friends.
https://www.anthocyanes.fr/dominique-belluard-sen-est-alle/

So sad :frowning: was a big fan of his wines.

It’s the 4th high profile French winemaker suicide in the last 3 months or so. Devastating that so many are being driven to the brink. RIP, Daniel Belluard… the Savoie just lost its brightest star.

1 Like

I was shocked and saddened to hear of his death and now devastated to learn that he took his own life. RIP

Sad. Loved his wines since I first met them about 12 years ago.

I’m shocked to hear this. Who else took their own life? If you’d prefer to private message than post, please do.

Laurent vaille of grange des Peres, pascal clairet of Domaines des Tournelles (Jura) and olivier lemasson of Les Vins Contes (Loire). It’s all tragically sad.

For those that understand French, here is a very moving and thoughtful post on Laurent Vaillé from the guys at Clos des Fees:

Very sad news. I just was thinking that I needed to drink a bottle of their Gringet that is sitting on my shelf…

I heard he had passed, but had no idea he took his own life. Tragic and so sad.

I first purchased Belluard via Selection Massale. I still have several bottles of '10-12s Les Alpes and Le Feu. I opened my sole bottle of '13 Les Alpes last month. I purchased it when Selection Massale closed their San Leandro CA warehouse. I’ve always been amazed how well those wines age. For such a delicate wine, it has great backbone.

Thank you.

RIP.

I opened a bottle of his 2015 Mondeuse tonight in remembrance. His wines introduced me to the Gringet and Altesse grapes. :wine_glass:

1 Like

I poured a replacement bottle of the 2014 Belluard ‘Les Alpes’ Gringet [Vin de Savoie] over the last two nights, quite enjoying them on a hot day. This is literally the only time in my life I have requested a replacement bottle from a retailer; the first one was corked, and Belluard’s wines have a good reputation, and can be hard to find so I requested a replacement. (That was easy peasy actually) This wine was in good shape and I enjoyed it. 12.5% abv, and light bodied and pale. A nose of straw, a palate of lemon, and wet stones and slate on the finish. It’s likable, good for the summer, but for my tastes, not any more lovable than widely available Savoyard’s like Pierre Boniface. I had the wine all by itself, but I think it would be good with light fare, maybe fish. This delicate blanc gets a B in my ledger.
PXL_20210703_005224180.jpg

We really enjoyed two Belluard wines this week. 2017 Les Alpes and 2013 Le Feu. The latter was so dense and unique. No mousiness. Gringet is a very uniquely tasting wine.
ABE4A89F-3425-45F4-B5D5-E2662305B389.jpeg
B4EE0B21-92AD-496E-91A7-C511ACE87E41.jpeg
C53E89FD-365D-4D92-B342-072991386B6C.jpeg

1 Like

Had a 2014 Le Feu last year that was really good as well. As you say a very unique wine.

Just had this a week ago. Unfortunately the last one.

Truly lovely wines. How sad. May his memory be a blessing.

Gavenvat made some wine with his grapes this year. Worth trying if you see it.

As did Théo Dancer.

The 2020 Belluard Eponyme was blended and bottled by J-F Ganevat as well.

Eponyme is the wine I was referring to. We drank 2 already. Delicious,
But not identical.