TNs: 2000 Dom Perignon P2, 2009 Chateau Palmer

Me and a few boys, including fellow berserker MarcF, hit a sushi joint yesterday for an evening of Omakase. We had an array of wines, but I wanted to highlight these two in particular.

The 2000 Dom Perignon P2 was spectacular. I’m certainly no champagne connoisseur, and would have loved to pair this with the base 2000 bottling, but damn did it shine for me. I have had more than a handful of the base 2000 bottling over the years, but this one definitely came across as richer, much tighter mousse, and slightly higher acid. Really deep range of white-to-yellow fruits and florals. If anything, this wine still needs more time to open up. We followed it over the evening, I had three glass over several hours, and it definitely benefited from air. A sensational pairing with sashimi, especially the fatty, buttery tuna with caviar topping. I think this wine has more upside with time. (95+ pts.)

Ok who the hell brought a Classified Growth Bordeaux to sushi night! I swear it was not me - heck, MarcF brought a 2000 Pavie, lol - but damn was this 2009 Chateau Palmer an extraordinary wine. And one of the courses was perfectly medium-rare to rare duck breast with crispy skin. This is a truly voluptuous, hedonistic wine. While the normal cepage hovers at 50/50 cab and merlot, on this wine in this ripe vintage, the merlot predominated. Lovely round fleshy plummy fruits. Some notes that might have caused me to call Pomerol blind, from Asian spice to truffles, but really the merlot would have lead me in that direction. Very silky fine. This wine obviously will benefit with more time, as the hints of tobacco, leather and other earthy notes peek out, but no regrets popping this wine now. I have some in the “cellar” but will keep them to 20 before I start popping. Wow paired so great with the duck. (96 pts.)

The 2000 Pavie was not horrible, but by then I was prolly tipsy. MarcF brought a killer Burg as well, but I will defer to him on notes.

3 Likes

ED05B04F-8E57-4873-9416-11524621BA4A.jpeg
854DBF9F-042E-444C-AFBE-8FBEC8E4263F.jpeg
6A97379E-1698-45D5-AA00-48A4519EF072.jpeg
C121BE33-1324-48A5-91FB-A7185630AA8A.jpeg
861F5A0F-B061-49F9-98E8-101D9D2EF30D.jpeg

1 Like

Sounds and looks awesome!

Couple great pairings that I have never done, noted. Imma buy you the Fu epicurean photography masterclass for Father’s Day, lol.

All looks great… envious :slight_smile:

1 Like

Fu definitely has wine photos down to a science. I saw him in action at my own house, but was more interested in drinking!

champagne.gif

Nice work fellas - looks like a great night!

Gotta say though…I had to read the ‘2000 Pavie was not horrible’ comment like 3 times to make sure I wasn’t losing my mind. Be honest…how many bottles did you crush before getting to the Pavie?? :wink:

I think Pavie was the 6th bottle. I honestly only took a sip - balancing the fine art of not offending the host while also not ruining my exemplary street cred - and went back to sake. Marc actually brought two bottles of Pavie, one a magnum, to trade our buddy Roy for an Ausone. I don’t think the Pavie was ever on the agenda to pop, but somehow it got opened.

I had to skip the after party because I had a major project to wrap up the next day, but the boys went back to our buddy Roy‘s house and freaking popped Le Pin and Ovid. And of course kept texting me pictures to harass me. I have such a lovely friends, LOL.

Well played my man! And extra props for making the ‘smart’ decision to skip the after party when you’ve got sh*t to do the next day. Always a tough call after the wine has been flowing and you know there’s killer bottles about to be popped.

Had that 00 dp p2 last week too. Classic p2 in style with that upfront lingering reduction and richness but didn’t have the depth on the mid palate and finish of the 95 or 96. Certainly wouldn’t turn my nose up at it though!

Great notes Robert…Soeski really shined …a wonderful omakase experience and a welcomed dining experience for our little backwoods town.

The burgundy Alfert referenced in his post was the:

2002 Raymond Launay Latricieres Chamberlain…I have little to no background info on this producer and same goes with the Latricieres climat…I believe I’ve only tasted one other Latricieres in the past. Please chime in if anyone knows some specifics on Raymond Launay. Well…what I can say is …I sure as hell know this wine now…it’s a cracker…for the record, I am a big 2002 burg fan, this vintage really shows well at the moment and the Launay clearly followed suit…this wine has great energy…the fruit pops on the palate…and it’s not just the fruit dancing, the spice begins to intermingle…then porcini and minerality make their cameo appearance…the finish keeps lingering leaving u wanting more…a fine fine grand cru.

The Dom P2 2000…oh mama, this is an obvious clear level up from the base version…so smooth, so unctuous, so rich…but it also has the acid to carry it without feeling heavy…the slightest oxidative note added to the creamy complexity…almost had me thinking Selosse…this is an absolute gem of a bottle.

2000 Pavie??? The one thing about Pavie club is…we don’t talk about Pavie club!! Seriously though, a much better wine than I believed it would be…def. more new world but, has some of that suave sex appeal, not too big and not overly oaked…so far the best Pavie I’ve ever tasted, I never really like any of them though…I actually brought this and a mag of 2005 Pavie to trade our Le Pin poppin’ buddy Roy for a bottle of the 2015 Ausone…but when Roy said pop the Pavie we acquiesced.

Though the Pavie has the sex appeal…the real panty dropper was the:
2009 Palmer…just oozes voluptuousness…this wine displayed a split personality…the ripe cassis of the left bank and the sulty spice of the right…though maybe a tad too new world…I can’t deny that I was clearly in its consumption corner.

Back the the Dock…we headed over to sit lakeside at Roy’s incredible crib…Roy was feeling it so, out comes the:
2017 Le Pin.
Ugh…baby killing at it’s finest I guess…Still too young, lots of structure but, you can see the will be a big winner in the future…def.was drinking better than the bottle we consumed a few months back.

Say what? An enjoyable full evening of wines with Robert which were sans any green notes…who knew?

Another evening of debauchery in the books…Alfert needs to go the distance next time…delegate that shit !!!

Funny enough, the Ovid white was green.

Great notes Marc and Robert. You guys slumming as usual! I gotta go to that restaurant….

Let’s do it!

Roy setting up a chefs dinner soon, so you gotta come over. I’ll float you the dates.

Nice notes and great brings. Also a big fan of the 00` P2 after 4 exposures and one still in the cellar.

Nice Blake…I just picked up a bottle of the 2002 P2…have u had it?

1 Like

That food looks incredible… apropos of the Palmer, I increasingly think 2009 Bordeaux is the real deal, maybe, possibly the best since 1990? I’ve even had some St. Emilions that have shown well!

No Marc, I have not had the 02` but have 2 coming. Should be stellar as the reg P1 was.

Nice!..and yeah…ripe chardonnay that year created a luscious Dom.

1 Like