A Nice Dinner

Had a lovely dinner with good friends last night.

2008 Taittinger Champagne Comtes de Champagne Blanc de Blancs Brut: Intense, compact, rich and contained. The purest of white peach fruit with a squeeze of lemon. It has spice and brioche notes and such great intensity and drive. Bead is super-fine and it finishes with fabulous cut. Despite how tight it is, it offers pleasure now, but the best is yet to come.
2014 Bonneau du Martray Corton-Charlemagne, Grand Cru: Plenty of struck match to the aroma. Fruit flavours are generous, open knit and sappy. It is complex and layered and very long.

2011 Pierre-Yves Colin-Morey Corton-Charlemagne, Grand Cru: Much tighter than the ’14 BdM next to it. So fresh with a steely spine. There are notes of white peach, Arum Lillies, flint, mint and preserved lemon. It is so direct, with awesome dry extract and so much energy and drive.

2013 Cloudburst Chardonnay: Drinking beautifully. Very elegant with subtle whiffs of white peach, nutmeg, spearmint and fig. The palate is voluminous and silky. It has a light creaminess and a finish that is delicate and detailed.

2009 Louis Jadot Chambolle-Musigny 1er Cru Les Amoureuses: Rich, opulent and giving. Has some foresty/pine needly notes along with intense cherry fruit. There is a stony/mineral quality to the wine and it builds through the mouth, fanning out on the finish. There’s plenty of earth and fruit flavours that linger once the wine is swallowed.

2009 Domaine Armand Rousseau Père et Fils Chambertin-Clos de Bèze, Grand Cru: So perfumed, spicy and sumptuous. Great flesh and intensity. Berry and cherry fruit flavours abound. It is a big and powerful wine but in perfect proportion and possessing exquisite balance. Perfectly ripe tannins carry the extremely long finish.

2008 Domaine G. Roumier Chambolle-Musigny 1er Cru Les Cras: An inviting nose of rose petals, fresh tilled earth and red fruits. The palate is deep, with crunchy fruits playing on a geological base. It builds and finishes with excellent minerally cut.

2001 Giovanni Sordo Barolo Riserva Gabutti: Stern and sturdy with plenty of meat and iron. It is powerful, dense and a little bit blocky. There’s good chew to the finish and it is very savoury.

1981 Château d’Yquem, Sauternes: From half bottle this was rockin’. Aromas of lavender, marmalade, honey and apricot. It was unctuous and full in the mouth, with delicious spice laden flavours. There was just the right amount of sweetness and a fresh finish of outstanding persistence.

2 Likes

That PYCM is a sinewy middleweight. Packs a punch but still dances on its toes. Thomas Hearns-like!

2 Likes

Hi Jeremy, great notes.

what are your thoughts on when the Rousseau and Roumier will reach their peak? only got a couple bottles of each

cheers Brodie

It is a terrific wine Matthew.

Hi Brodie, I reckon they are both entering what I suspect will be a very long drinking window. The Rousseau feels more ready if that makes any sense, but I don’t doubt it will be splendid in a couple of decades.

Nice notes, Jeremy. What’s not to like about a dinner with 2011 PYCM CC and 2009 Rousseau Beze and 1981 Yquem?

not a bad bottle there. Awesome.

I have to wonder what you would serve at a really nice dinner.

Thanks Jeremy. Great notes and a great set of wines.

[rofl.gif] same thoughts

Nice notes and great wines. My kind off evening. Happy you are doing it righteously.

Very nice indeed ! Thanks . I should check out the Cloudburst , never heard of it .