TN: 2018 Méo-Camuzet Frère et Sœurs Bourgogne Hémisphère Nord

I read the early reports of 2018 being as variable a vintage as they come but as there has recently been what seems to me quite a lot of positivity regarding this vintage I have softened my own stance somewhat. The Voillot Bourgogne was a ton of fun not so long ago, showing that it was possible to make wines in 2018 that, if not exactly classic, are clearly cool climate Pinot Noir and very delicious. This one on the other hand, well… I have not drunk a lot of Méo-Camuzet but would have never expected them to put out a wine like this. I guess for some palates it can be a decent drink but I just cannot fathom how you can make a Burgundy Pinot Noir taste like this one does. I tried it again today but if anything it had become worse, with the missus commenting that it tastes like gasoline (although to be fair, her palate is even more sensitive than mine).

• 2018 Méo-Camuzet Frère et Sœurs Bourgogne Hémisphère Nord - France, Burgundy, Bourgogne (19.6.2021)
    Ripely dark-fruited and very fruit forward on the nose, Chambord-esque if you will. On the palate rich and opulent with questionable/admirable density, depending where you are looking from. Thoroughly primary and a real bruiser - I would be hard pressed to name the variety or the origin here. Seems to have quite a bit of both tannin and acidity. The 13.5% does feel a bit. Will be interesting to see where this goes from here but my gut reaction is: yikes.

Posted from CellarTracker

1 Like