TN: 2008 Chateau Montelena Cabernet Sauvignon The Montelena Estate

• 2008 Chateau Montelena Cabernet Sauvignon The Montelena Estate - USA, California, Napa Valley (6/19/2021)
    From half bottle this is still quite young, but with a two hour decant it’s drinking very well. There’s plenty of fruit, and the structure can support another decade or two of cellaring. It’s rich, yet retains a classic style. Admittedly I am not incredibly excited about this, but it’s definitely a good wine, just doesn’t have a spark to make it memorable.

Posted from CellarTracker

had pretty much the same take on this wine.

2008 Chateau Montelena Cabernet Sauvignon The Montelena Estate - USA, California, Napa Valley (6/18/2021)
Very nice cab drank with grilled beef tenderloin. This wine was really good but not great as it should be for the price. Still a lot of acidity. Hopefully this will improve with more cellar time. (91 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

After the 2002 vintage, I have found the majority of the Montelena Estate Cab’s to be in the ‘good but not great’ category. I do have some 2016’s and look forward to trying one soon.

I have really enjoyed the 2004 and 2006 in recent months. I was much more enthused about both of those vintages than this 2008.