Staglin Family Cab - why don't it get any respect?

I have only had it once or twice over the years and it was good. I just picked up a case from the notoriously horrible 2000 vintage, but the Araujo from the notoriously horrible 1998 vintage is an excellent wine and the CT notes look good, so I think I got a steal that, of course, I don’t need, but that’s a different story. I used the equally notorious search function here to look for threads with Staglin in the title and they were few and far between. What gives?

The 1998 Staglin that Celia Welch made was my favorite of the vintage out of Napa Valley.

I got a case of the 2000 for $46.50 per bottle plus tax. Seems like a bargain IF it’s reasonably solid as a 20 year old Cali Cab.

1 Like

That’s a great deal! I paid $59.99+ tax for my 97’s in a wine shop on release.
Not really sure why I didn’t buy more Staglin, don’t think they “wowed” me early on & moved on to something else. Two years ago was the last time I pulled one, it was very nice.

For $250/bottle, the bar is high indeed. [wow.gif]

Jay you got a great deal.

I think part of it was that the wine never had any “cult” status, didn’t have a hero story behind it, and the movie Mondovino made them look like morons.

In fact, I think the wines are really good and they age nicely. But the price has gone way beyond what I feel like paying these days. I guess if they’re selling out, it’s working for them. Either way, you got a great deal.

1 Like

I bought and enjoyed a bunch in the 90’s/early 2000s.
Price was about $38 to $50 from Winex, as I recall.
Then the price jumped north of $100. I was out. Good wines but not worth chasing at that price.

I don’t think any one that saw the movie stopped buying the wine because of the negative light they tried to put on them.

They are an amazingly charitable family, and for Nossiter to try to paint them as bad people is just all kinds of wrong. Of the many things to piss me off about the movie, this one pisses me of the most.

Pretty much my feeling, too. However, all of my dealings with the winery staff and the Staglins were very friendly and professional.

Nossiter paint people as bad? [wow.gif]

i think the semi revolving door of winemakers didn’t help things.

1 Like

My impression is their CS shows a pleasing robust structure and a Rutherford iron rich red taste.

I think it’s a nice source. Chard not too oaky.

I have no explanation for the lack of discussion, it’s a fair point to raise.

I think you are confusing them with Bryant Family. Fredrik Johansson has been the winemaker since 2007.

im speaking to the period of late 90s through 07. switching up from levy, welch, erickson, morlet.
they were far more popular in the 2000’s and if they kept andy or luc perhaps this would have been sustained.
with that said, bryant is a similar situation.

Today, they sent me the tech sheet on the 2000 Staglin that I bought:

Release date: September 2003
Harvest Dates: September 17 – October 16, 2000
Barrel Aging: 26 months
French Oak: 65% new French oak barrels, medium-plus toast; 35% once used French oak barrels
Blend: 100% Cabernet Sauvignon

The interesting item is MSRP: $130. I got it for $46.50 a bottle by the case this week. IF the storage was good . . .

This was me as well. Bought a vintage or three when it was in the $20s and/or $30s per bottle and was looking forward to buying more. One vintage (mid-'90s I believe), there was a significant price jump, and I was out. Given that the price has kept jumping, it would appear they don’t miss me too much.

I don’t know if people stopped buying or not, but he did a hatchet job on them with the movie. One of several. I agree with your sentiment entirely.

Well, at least he doesn’t have a whole multi page thread on their inarticulate rambling!!

neener

Maybe filming The Parent Trap on the property ruined their karma? Although I really like the movie.