Cleaning lip shmudge off my Zaltos

This has always been an issue. Getting lipstick and shmudge off the rims of my Zalto glasses. Particularly the bigger bowled ones which seem more susceptible to snapping if you torque them. Even the dishwasher has a hard time with this.

I was looking at a couple really shmudged glasses on the counter this morning while cleaning my eye glasses. That got me wondering if the alcohol lens wipes we use for our glasses would do the job with gentle pressure. Well dang! Works like a champ. I just rubbed the wipe along the rim on both sides with thumb and index finger and perfectly clean! Wish I had thought of this sooner.

1 Like

Wipe off your drinker, not the glass.

Perhaps a little olive oil on a paper towel? I think it depends on the type of lip stick is used, ie: gloss, stick or stain. Gloss should be easy to wipe off. Lipstick may be the worst. I personally use stain and it doesn’t come off my lips that easily. Stick is usually a wax / paraffin base so something mild like EVOO should get it off the rim.

A touch of Dawn dish detergent and a sponge work fine, no special wipes necessary.

The trick to not snapping the stem is to hold the glass by the bowl while cleaning. Fold the sponge over the rim and with thumb and forefinger of the right hand gently compress the top 1/2" of the rim from both sides while turning the bowl with the left hand. Have never snapped a stem or broken a bowl with this routine. But… I do this the next morning, and fine, gentle manipulations have been sort of my thing for the last 30-40 years. YMMV.

1 Like

Or go to the root of the problem and reserve your Zaltos for male friends.
[wow.gif] [snort.gif]

+1

this is exactly what I do and it works perfectly

The word is Schmutz, not Shmudge. Just sayin’. newhere

1 Like

https://www.wineberserkers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=3234412#p3234412 You can also spray Dawn on the rim, a few WBers do this.

Jay I know the word Schmutz. I made up the word Shmudge because it sounds like what it is, a streaky smudge.

Glasses are so tempermental. I had a fairly solid Schott-Zweisel Old Fashioned glass disintegrate in my hands today because I picked it up wrong. I’ve dropped these many times without damaging them.

Generally for schmutz I soak them in Oxyclean, and if you have stains in the bowl a thin microfiber glass cleaning brush does the trick.
trh.gif

Never had this problem but what about soaking in vinegar or baking soda? Invisible Glass Cleaner?

Alcohol wipe.

I keep some high strength isopropyl around and use it for a lot of tough cleaning jobs. High proof grain alcohol does just as well if that’s handier. Dish soap works for this, but alcohol makes it much easier (quick and not much pressure), which is nice with thin glassware.

Won’t work in all cases.

Stop inviting the Housewives of Beverly Hills to your wine events? [rofl.gif]

You people use a stem more than once?

Stemware and toilets end up filthier when used by men.

champagne.gif

Our tasting group has a no lipstick/no perfume policy.
We also do BYOStems pretty frequently.

Dawn powerwash and Dr. Brown’s baby bottle brush has been able to beat all the shmudges and schmutzes so far!

Maybe he does. You are assuming facts not in evidence. neener [stirthepothal.gif]