TNR: 2010 Caparzo "La Casa" Brunello di Montalcino

Wondering if anyone has tried this wine? I’m thinking about buying it but it comes in 6 packs @ $450, so I can’t just test drive it.

Artisan Wine Depot has single bottles for $75.

1 Like

The 2016 is pretty reasonably priced at K&L.

I tried it about 2 years ago, but no formal notes to rely on . . . What I remember about it is that 1) It was a bit darker in color than expected with virtually no bricking – a bit of a surprise for a 9 year Brunello 2) It had some darker fruit notes (mostly plum) intermixed with the expected cherry 3) The tannins were fine and well integrated – it finished smoother with a tad lower acidity than some of the other 2010s I have had. Regardless, I thought it was excellent and enjoyed it very much, though perhaps a bit atypical relative to the other 2010s I have tried.

$450/6=$75 quite test drivable if you’re thinking of making a larger purchase.

Ravi, thanks! Very helpful.

Not 2010, but it´s my fav. Brunello … and I´ve had quite a lot of older vintages, back to 1979, 1982, 1985, 1990 especially fine.

1 Like

Can’t help with the La Casa, but I tried the regular of this about 4 years ago Peter, at the Benevenuto Brunello event

"2010 Caparzo Brunello di Montalcino Riserva

Notes of mocha, dark plum, black forest cake. A very good level of balance already, plenty of tannic grip but equal play space for strong red fruit–currant and plum–and leather and sweetmeats and some light menthol too."

Yes, the regular Brunello from 2010 is really good. That’s the vintage that got me buying it. Probably will go for the La Casa from the '16 but need to make some space for it…

Took the plunge on the 2010 La Casa. Thank all for the great info. Will probably also buy the 2016 a little later with some Canalicchio.