Fourrier Gevrey Chambertin 1er Cherbaudes VV

At Picasso in the Bellagio in Las Vegas (date night during a trip to celebrate a friend’s 40th).

First, a shout out to Picasso. I reached out ahead of time and said I’d like to spend around $X for a good burg to go with dinner with my wife. They called to clarify red or white burg, which I very much appreciated and had realized the night before that I failed to specify. When we arrived at the restaurant, we were promptly led to the absolute best table, right on the windows with a perfect view of the fountain. Inside. Which was key because it was 117 degrees that day. We started with a half bottle of Krug, and then proceeded to the burg. The sommelier was extremely friendly and very excited about the bottle. I was pleased when I saw it and enjoy Fourrier’s wines.

2017 Fourrier Gevrey Chambertin 1er Cru Cherbaudes VV - The wine smelled amazing with cranberrry sauce, bright cherry, a soft vanilla note, tea leaves, and bright violets. Lovely and complex. The palate was well integrated with expressive bright cherry fruit, good acid, and a punchy floral note. Just a hint of savory to balance out the lively red fruit and floral elements. This was a delicious young burgundy and went exceptionally well with our meal. A good selection by the Somm, whose name I cannot remember (sorry). I suspect this will get very good with a little age on it and would hold if I had some at home 92-93.

Final note on Picasso. The service was spectacular. Among the best I have ever experienced. Our server, Mitch, had a quiet dignity and a great sense of humor. He was welcoming and attentive, but never intrusive. I had a spectacular time with my wife at Picasso and would highly recommend it. While my warm quail salad was a little disjointed, the salmon and pigeon dishes were exceptional. The pistachio souffle with dark chocolate gelato for dessert was similarly spectacular. Very well done top to bottom, and fun to see the Picassos on the walls.