TN: Bennora Comes to Town! Many Syrahs are had! Halcon, Knez, Clusel Roch, Witching Stick

Ben was in DC, the place we met… but also the place we have spent the least time together?! Also in attendance was Dave, a previous coop neighbor and budding wine enthusiast (very new berserker). Due to mine and Ben’s preferences, the main course was herb stuffed leg of lamb and the blind tasting was four syrahs. I was single blind and the others were double blinded.

Fascinating test as all four wines were very good and yet entirely distinctive. There is no way you could say that any of these was just like the rest. Really cool and accidental outcome there!

In the end, the Clusel Roch Cote Rotie “Classique” 2010 was the winner. The Halcon was hot on its heels, and given the discussion, pretty
Much everyone was really torn between this two wines for first place. Ben went for the Knez because it was really interesting even if it wasn’t really open for business.

Overall a superb night and very happy to cool for friends!

• 2014 Knez Winery Syrah Knez Vineyard - USA, California, North Coast, Anderson Valley
    Deep opaque purple. Loads of pepper and iron with a purple flower note on the nose. Palate is loaded with structure more than anything, but black fruit lurks somewhere in the background. Intensely tannic and gripping at this point even after 3 days and an overnight in the decanter.

STRONG HOLD!

• 2012 Witching Stick Syrah Valenti Vineyard - USA, California, North Coast, Mendocino Ridge
    Reddish purple. Tangy red fruit, spice and mint on the nose. Decidedly red fruited and quite subtle in its profile which comes off almost tart. This is not like my last couple bottles that had more deep and dark red fruit. Definitely a pretty expression but less classic.
  • 2017 Halcon Vineyards Syrah Elevacion - USA, California, North Coast, Yorkville Highlands
    Opaque purple. White pepper and game. Lovely and feral. This happened to be the only wine I wasn’t blinded on, but I think I would have picked it out anyway. It has all the intensity and depth of a very rich wine, but none of the booze or heaviness in the palate. Instead you have this interplay between fruit and game and spice, all fighting for attention and with loads of structure.

I’d imagine this will drink well for some time, but it is very good now provided you give it a fair amount of air. 2nd place of the night but I had to flip a coin.

• 2010 Clusel-Roch Côte-Rôtie - France, Rhône, Northern Rhône, Côte-Rôtie
    Opaque purple. Perfect textbook notes with pepper, olive, and a bit of meat. Palate is rich, full of dark red fruit and spice. It is long, intense, but in a great spot. Showing totally integrated and drinking well after a slow ox since the morning. The first wine poured and the favorite of the night by total scores. I was thrilled with this and Halcon but this won my coin toss for 1st.
  • 2015 Turley The White Coat - USA, California
    A good but not great bottle here. Came off as a bit thin and muted. The oily texture was there, but not nearly as much aromatics or flavors as my typical experience with this wine. Nothing wrong with it, but the 2014s blew this out of the water. Hoping it’s a dumb phase or something.
  • 2014 Tre Monti Albana Albana di Romagna Vitalba (Anfora) - Italy, Emilia-Romagna, Albana di Romagna DOCG
    On my 4th night here. For the first two nights the mid was rather thin and hollow. Happy to report that after a LOT of time open, it has fully fleshed out and is now a giant pile of perfectly ripe stone fruit. The palate matches the captivating nose of peach tart with a hit of baking spice. Really intriguing and with none of the bitterness and astringency that can accompany wines of this style

Posted from CellarTracker