TNs: Three Blind Older Pinots

A few blind Pinots shared with my friend Scott Christie.

2002 Landmark Kastania Pinot Noir (Sonoma Coast)
Tasted this on release at the winery and held on to a bottle to experiment. The aromas reminded me a bit of the “Cali Pinots just get older” adage…until the first sip when the fruit integration and intensity really shined. Some sous bois with plenty of tertiary cigar box and saddle leather. Good acidity and length. No sharp edges or out-of-place tannins. Very pleasant drinking. It fooled Scott in to guessing Burg.

2005 Sineann Resonance Vyd Pinot Noir (Yamhill - Carlton, Oregon)
My last bottle of non-Jadot Resonance. Interesting ground glass stopper with a wax cap. A big boned Pinot with enough acidity. Some lovely telltale foresty notes. Good balance and mature red/dark fruit push in to the long finish. This struck me as being at its peak. Not as mature as the Landmark and only slightly less interesting. Scott accurately guessed aged Oregon in the 15 - 20 year range. Shame that Peter Rosback no longer has access as this was his hallmark vineyard IMHO.

2003 Jadot Pommard Rugiens 1er Cru
Every time I pull a 2003 Pinot, it’s a crap shoot. The dice rolled positively this time. Leaning towards the darker fruit side and only very slightly raisined. Plenty of sous bois and earth. The tannins rub but avoid being nasty (i.e.: no green-ness). This can probably drink well for a decade (maybe more) but I enjoyed catching the fruit with a bit of freshness. Scott guessed 20 year Burg. The pick of the trio, although the Landmark gave it a run.

RT