TN: 1992 Zind-Humbrecht Gewurztraminer Clos Windsbuhl (France, Alsace)

• 1992 Zind-Humbrecht Gewurztraminer Clos Windsbuhl - France, Alsace (6/29/2021)
    Holding up very well for a 29 year old white wine! Better than just very well. This wine was lychee nuts here, there and everywhere, with spice at the back of the palate. Very smooth and no bite. The tropical fruit had calmed down from what it must have been like when new. There was a tiny bit of pineapple and undifferentiated citrus, but mainly it was the lychees. The age creates a trade off. Young Gewurz can be rough on the mouth, but more of a fruit salad to go with the lychees. This had less other fruit but very smooth and easy to drink. The color showed no evidence of age - perhaps a tiny bit more golden than when young, but it could have been the lights in the restaurant. The only problem was my bad pairing choice. It went well with a spicy fried shrimp appetizer but my teriyaki skirt steak, although good by itself, was not a great match. Unfortunately, they had a bunch of good clam dishes, but the chef did not like the looks of the clams, so he did not buy them. I should have gone with the mussels. (92 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker