TN: 2003 Turley Zinfandel Grist Vineyard

• 2003 Turley Zinfandel Grist Vineyard - USA, California, Sonoma County, Dry Creek Valley (7/3/2021)
    There are a lot of older Turley Zins coming up at auction these days and the prices are low. I got a 4 bottle lot of this for $32 a bottle including buyer’s premium and tax. Popped, decanted and poured about 15 minutes later. Opened with a Durand but the cork was very sound. My son immediately commented on the high alcohol level from the nose before even taking a sip. It’s 15.4% so not a shy wine. I was not bothered by it. This is definitely a fruit driven wine, but neither jammy nor sweet. Cherry, berries and plums dominated the palate with just a little bit of spice and the back. I followed this for 4 hours after decanting and the fruit complexity developed over time. I bought some early 2000 Turley by mail order, I think the 2004 vintage, and I found them to be too syrupy so I stopped buying. I do not know what this wine was like in its youth, but if it was like the others I tried from that period, then it has developed extremely well in the interim. (91 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker