TN: 1998 Chateau Magdelaine

Gosh this is a gorgeous wine.

And I needed it. Just wrapped up a whirlwind 36 hours flying up to my son’s college, renting a U-Haul, cleaning out his studio apartment, and then driving back 11.5 hours today, yuk. On hangovers. Nick and I had one last hoorah. Had an excellent dinner then hit a cocktail bar with a fairly deep bourbon menu. Since I’m a Scotch guy, I texted the menu to the boys, and proceeded to order whatever Jorge, Fu and Todd recommended. Rip Van Winkle 12, Sazerac 18 (stoopid good), William Larue Weller (spice bomb), and Midwinter’s Night Dram (hedonistic, like the Roteboeuf of bourbon), all following Blanton’s and some Old “World” Fashioneds to start made of Macallan 12 and Glenlevit 12. I was lit.

Did I say this Magdelaine is gorgeous?

First, if you own it, it still needs a few more years. It’s showing well after air, but like many Magdelaines, you just know it will get better with time. This third glass I’m on two hours into it, is blossoming. Love the savory leathery earthy notes on this classic wine. Deep range of red fruits, salted plums, dry earth, spice and smoke. A hint of blood orange citrus. Grainy minerality to the palate. Tannins are integrating, still has good structure but it’s close to that window. Just gorgeous.

(95 pts.)

53ED1A04-9C68-4F17-98C3-C9A2AE4C8FF3.jpeg

11 Likes

I just wrote on another thread how much I loved this wine. The market agrees, as it is 50% higher than any other Magdelaine.

Thanks for the great note. When we had this in our Magdelaine tasting a couple of years ago, it was shocking to observe the sheer scale of the wine compared to other vintages, great and small. It is deceptively approachable now, but for my part I think it will need another decade to really begin to unfurl- though at this point I expect it will be showing well going forward. It is bigger than the 2008, but in the same league.

Sounds wonderful, Robert, thanks for posting - I know you tried the 2000 not so long ago - which one did you prefer?

The 1998 over the 2000, but really both quite fine. And as I keep noting, these Magdelaines really need more time. It is amazing once they really “pop”. I swore not to touch another 2000 - down to a lowly ten bottles [snort.gif] - for another 5 years.

2 Likes

Sounds great. Some how I only ended up with 3 bottles of the 98, backfilling this vintage has always been a challenge (unlike the 2000 which was plentiful and fairly priced on auction until recently). My impression of 98 Rightbank overall is that it is more structured than its counterparts in 2000. I will definitely let my 98s sleep at least another 5 years.

98 is blindingly good, the last one I opened in 2017 wasnt anywhere near ready but it was easy to see the greatness that will emerge with time

Nice! And yes, the Sazerac 18 is ridonk. Probably the best American whiskey I’ve ever had.

1 Like

Robert,

I know how much you like reds from the Loire, but somehow this seems to be about the ultimate YOU wine. Glad you got to have it. Congratulations.

It is very interesting. So many Bordeaux vintages are pretty controversial these days. 1989 or 1990? 1986? 2005? 2009 and 2010? It seems like the one exception to this is 1998 right bank wines. Never read a bad word about the vintage.

1 Like

Very true, Howard!

Wish I had been introduced to this wine like twenty years ago. I love Bordeaux with a notable Cab Franc cut, always have.

Yea I’m a huge fan of 1998 right bank, Pomerol in particular. Another vintage I overlooked until later in the game. In the past year I have also had some stunning ones, like VCC and Trotanoy. Put both of those in the Alfert camp of major love wines. Dang they getting pricey though.

1 Like

I don’t remember ever seeing right bank 1998s (and 1998s from Pessac) criticized. Not normal in the world of wines. Did not ever buy much - was buying 1999 Burgs at the time (not sorry about that) - but am fascinated.

Had this for the first time along with some Flannery steaks this weekend. Bliss. Thanks to those here who have been recommending this over the years.

1 Like

Need more, lots more!!!

I’m bringing that sh*t to Highlands baby, bring your liver!

1 Like

Robert, which vintage do you feel is best in the zone now?

Tough call, but the 1980s. Here are my latest ramblings, which remain current to me. More importantly, look at Tom’s post and his thread on Magdelaine, he nails it.