Petit Verdot Recommendations

In two weeks I am going to a wine tasting focused on Petit Verdot. Must be 100%. Any recommendations for Petit Verdot? I was thinking of bringing a Château Belle-Vue Petit Verdot (never tried but looks interesting). Any other recommendations?

I have tried the Briceland Petit Verdots since 2012 (I believe their first year making them). Production is small, but Andrew Morris is on the board and if you reach out, he will assist. I’ve become friendly with Andrew over the years (so perhaps biased), but in this thread Robert Alfert reviews both the 2012 and the 2015.

1 Like

Second the rec of the Briceland PVs.

If you want a modern luxury Napa version, Decades 5 makes a Petit Verdot Stagecoach Vineyard. It’s good in that style.

Pine Ridge makes one, as far as your better known labels. I haven’t had it, the CT notes look pretty favorable.

1 Like

Wow looked up on Tracker and I have only 7 notes on Petit Verdot. One of the better ones I have tasted is a winery from Washington that is no longer in business.

2004 Meek Family Estate Petit Verdot - USA, Washington, Columbia Valley, Yakima Valley (3/22/2009)
One of the most impressive new wines I sampled in 2009 with blackberries, spice, violets, and coffee grounds. Concentrated wine with a medium to long finish. (91 points)
Posted from CellarTracker

1 Like

2017 Say When Petit Verdot Petite Beast Russell Family

opps - all sold out

1 Like

Briceland and Korbin Kameron are two of my favorites.

1 Like

There’s a very good B. Leighton label PV at House of Smith (Charles Smith/K Vintners). I don’t know if it’s 100%. Recommended as are any of Brennon’s wines.

1 Like

Try something from Virginia. Veritas, Michael Shaps, The Barns at Hamilton Station, Stone Tower (though it’s expensive), Valley Road. All excellent, and something a bit different.

1 Like

There are not that many Petit Verdot cuvées so I expect that finding some will be hard. The Bellevue one is good, as is this one I tried a few years ago:

1 Like

Agree with the addition of a Virginia petit verdot and would also suggest Jim Law’s Linden Vineyard petit verdot is a very nice wine.

1 Like

I believe that Foppiano used to make a petit verdot.

I used to like PIRRAMIMMA Petit Verdot from OZ.

1 Like

If you’re looking to try something not from France or the US my company sells one called ‘Chaski’ from Perez Cruz in Chile. I’d say check for it in your local wine stores but I know it’s available on wine.com nationally.

A couple years ago David Phillips of Michael David Winery (Lodi, CA) hosted a local tasting I attended with friends. He poured some of their Inkblot wines including the Petit Verdot which was the most interesting wine of the night, imo. While not something I want to drink regularly, it was an enjoyable glass and remains one of my friend’s regular re-order wines every year.

*Looked up online & see it includes 10-15% Petite Sirah. Oops.

1 Like

There are a few Colorado wineries that make a good PV. Bookcliff, Snowy Peak, Infinite Monkey Theorem, Colterris. Most should be available for shipping to VA and around $25 to $40. It could be a fun way to compare how high altitude changes the flavor profile. Canyon Wind used to make a wonderful PV until they closed, not sure if it can still be found (I assume one of the aforementioned wineries such as Colterris is bottling the PV grapes under their label since they bought a good portion of Canyon Wind’s vines).

Locatelli in Paso makes an awesome PV.
When it went on sale I loaded up.
I love PV but there is not much of it around.

2 Likes

Bokisch do an occasional one from Lodi that I’ve really enjoyed.

2 Likes

The original Realm Cellars wines had a strongly unique Petit Verdot signature to them.

For instance, the 2005 Absurd was something like 35% PV, but I’m not seeing it at free Wine-Searcher.

The 2005 Realm Tempest, at something like 18% PV, is available at Benchmark, for $210.

I have a recollection, from back in the day, of Wendell telling me that the PV was their single most expensive grape purchase [even more so than any of the named vineyards producing the Cabernet].

Dog Ridge used to export a 100% PV to the USA, from their Duck Chase vineyard, but I’m not seeing it on free Wine-Searcher [which seems to think that no one has sold it worldwide since November 2017, and that’s a real shame].

1 Like

Repris made a good one. But last vintage on CT is 2016, so it may be discontinued.

Linden has been making a Petit Verdot since at least 2002.

The 2014 & 2016 are listed on their current releases:

https://www.lindenvineyards.com/wines-available-now

Both Cellar Tracker & Vivino seem to like these wines:

https://www.vivino.com/linden-northern-region-petit-verdot/w/9406

It’s been forever since I’ve had a Linden.

I’d be very interested to learn how the winery has progressed.

VWS has three PVs on their website right now:

Casanel Petit Verdot 2016
Pearmund Cellars Petit Verdot 2016
Vint Hill Craft Winery Petit Verdot - Vanessa 2017

2 Likes