Is this wine pairing too obvious?

Made myself a frisée salad with poached eggs for dinner tonight. I had a half bottle of pecorino from Pasetti in Abruzzo, which seemed like a good enough match, so I drank that. It was good.

But I finished the salad, had a decent amount of leftover wine, and was still a little hungry. So I hunted around in my fridge and located a wedge of Pecorino Romano cheese. I took a thin slice, ate it, washed it down with the Pecorino wine, and DAAAAAAAMN that’s a good combo! Seriously, one of the best wine/cheese pairings I’ve had a good long while. Just perfection! I ended up polishing off the remainder of the bottle and eating an ungodly amount of cheese. The acidity and slight residual sweetness of the wine paired beautifully with the strong funky brininess of the cheese. You can get a high quality piece of Pecorino Romano for a few bucks and good Pecorino wine for well under $20…works (almost) as well as caviar and Champagne for 5% of the price.

I thought this discovery made me a genius…Unfortunately it’s apparently a widely known combo, and even mentioned on wine-searcher. Oh well, hopefully this post will alert those who don’t already know.

https://www.wine-searcher.com/grape-352-pecorino

1 Like