Louis Latour 1970, a big boy Veuve bested by an English wine…

Champagne and sparkling
Veuve Cliquot Grand Dame 1998
Never been a particular fan of this marque, so I was not particularly disappointed by its showing. There is nothing wrong with this wine, but nothing particularly right either. Four square, thinning, kind of boring rescued by a decent but not over long finish. I am not sure it is any better than my NV Roederer Brut. 89

Ambriel 2010
This is from England, and it was a nice surprise. Richer and way more interesting than VC. Slightly yeasty, good fruit, excellent attack and finish. The dosage seemed slightly high. 93

Louis Latour Gevrey Chambertin 1970
Bought it for its beautiful the color. After a fifty years, a village wine from a slightly underperforming house, I was hoping rather than expecting. But hope springs…

This was very good. Aging certainly, but lovely old Burgundy which appeared fragile, but held its own for over two hours. The fruit was bright strawberry, with mushroom earth and tobacco. Delightful 91

Rhys Horseshoe 2013 Chardonnay

Note to self. I like Santa Cruz Chardonnay. Ceritas, Mount Eden, Ridge and now this. Although it should not be confused with a white Burgundy, this is as close as I have ever got out of California. Cloaking the white fruit and floral essences was mineral oyster shell. Gorgeous and a couple of years from full maturity. Long finish 95

2 Likes