Age Worthy 2007 Champagne?

Wedding year is ‘07. Been grabbing some Taittinger CdC for celebrating anniversaries, but now starting to see Cristal is releasing their 2007 and wondering what other producers I should be looking at. Is DP expected to release a 2007? Krug?

Had an '07 Selosse yesterday. Really good.

David, the 2007 Billecart-Salmon “Cuvée Nicolas François Billecart” Brut Champagne is excellent and one that I would recommend.

Ed

1 Like

Dom Ruinart is also very smart.

2 Likes

Cristal released 2007 several years ago (they’re on 2013 today), and Dom Pérignon skipped 2007 (they’re on 2012), so you missed the boat on these. Krug will release 2008 at the end of the year, having skipped 2007.

Taittinger is a good start, I’d suggest trying to find some 2007 Egly-Ouriet, Bollinger R.D., and Roederer vintage as a better-value proposition.

1 Like

Off the top of my head, the best 07s I have had are Dom Ruinart BdB and Cristal Rose. I know there are others, but these two are what come to mind first. Neither are inexpensive, but the Dom Ruinart BdB is still a pretty good value considering the quality of the wine - especially in 2007.

Had a lovely 2007 from Rodez.

Best 2007 I know is Vilmart Coeur de Cuvee. It’s fabulous.

1 Like

Chardonnay seemed to have a far better year in 2007 compared to Pinot Noir, so I´d be looking for high end Blanc de Blancs.

You´ve already sensibly stocked up on CdC. I´d also look at Billecart-Salmon´s Cuvee Louis and, in a perfect world, some of the single vineyard wines from Jacquesson (Dizy Corne Bautray would be my ideal choice). Hard to go too wrong with Selosse as well, assuming you enjoy the style.

1 Like

The Vilmart Coeur de Cuvee is a great suggestion and the Selosse, Comtes de Champagne, and Cristal are too. A few other 2007s to look for are below. They are in no particular order.

• Savart Dame de Coeur
  • Alfred Gratien Blanc de Blancs
  • Cedric Bouchard Creux d’Enfer
  • Paul Dethune l’Ancienne
  • Vilmart Grand Cellier
  • Any of Pascal Doquet’s BdBs
  • Chartogne-Taillet Orizeaux
  • Chartogne-Taille Les Barres
  • Veuve Fourny Clos Notre Dame
  • Philipponnat Clos des Goisses
  • JL Vergnon Confidence
  • Pierre Peters Chetillons
  • Larmandier-Bernier Vieille Vigne du Levant
  • Pierre Paillard Les Maillerettes or Les Motelettes
  • Jacquesson Dizy Terres Rouges Rose
  • Rene Geoffroy Volupte
  • Henri Billiot Millesime
  • Henri Goutorbe Millesime
  • A. Margaine BdB
  • Doyard Oeil de Perdrix
  • Perrier-Jouet Belle Epoque

In general, 2007 is one of the weaker vintages of the decade, but it isn’t a bad year. As a wide-sweeping generalization, the year just lacks a bit of depth and length and can come across as kind of slow and heavy. I don’t see amazing aging potential (in terms of improvement or long term peaking) in the year, but the best wines should do fine over the next 1-3 decades assuming you like how Champagne changes over many years.

2 Likes

Yes! One of my favorite vintages of this wine. I don’t think it will be a long-term ager (for my taste, anyway), but it definitely still has some years in it with good storage.

Seems like the taittinger cdc rose is very highly regarded?

It is outstanding!

Good to know as I just bought some mags that seemed very well priced ie less than 2x bottles of the regular cdc. Can’t think of any other producer where you can do that ie buy mags of their rose for less than 2x bottles of the “regular” ie white champagne.

I opened my first bottle of '07 Comtes de Champagne last night and it was delicious. Not as powerful as '08 or as complex as '06, but lovely in its own right. Hard to see it as a long ager, but it sure is a nice drink now.

Where in the name of all things holy do i find a btl of this in the US? [cry.gif] [cry.gif]

I had the 2007 Dom Ruinart BdB last night. It’s a really delicious wine. I readily admit that I would have probably guessed it 2008 Dom Perignon blind because of the slightly reductive flint, smoke, mint, and white flower notes right off the bat. But the vanilla cream, citrus, and solid acidity and incredibly refined mousse make this a really special wine. A champagne that begs you to return. Were I specifically hunting for 2007s, this would be at the top of my list as well.

I’ve had a lot of luck with the blanc de blancs…and highly recommend trying any from reputable producers. The Delamotte has been crushing it for a few years, Comtes a great suggestion for the cellar. Dom Ruinart should be stellar. Vilmart. These are the ones that I’m cellaring…

If I had to buy 07 champagne, I’d be looking at the Taitt CdeC rose, or I’d be llooking at Bollinger RD I think.

Dan- where did you happen to find this please? Thank you