Guillemot Michel Vire Clesse: thanks Gautier!

Guillemot Michel: very friendly and generous Gautier put up with my ornery baby for an hour or so as we tasted and discussed the vineyard, vintages, and winemaking. We walked a bit through the vegetable gardens, cellar and vineyard on a rare sunny day in July.

We tasted Quintaine 2017 and 2018. What a difference in years. Gautier said that both wines were starting to shut down a bit, but I found them both expressive and a great contrast. They both had lots of dry extract, concentrated flavors and great balance. The 2017 tended more toward the lemon end of the spectrum, while the 2018 rode the tropical line with explosive orchard fruit. Another treat was the Amphora wine from 2019 (correct me if I am wrong!). It too was quite distinctive and different. While it retained similar concentration it came off more pure with perhaps slightly less creamy mouthfeel. Whatever it was, I really liked it and it was the favorite of the bunch! Finally there was a sparkling 2018 (notably on every wine list in Lyon) that was fun and fruity with lots of character. Oh, and a bonus brandy distilled on site. I am not a connoisseur of spirits, but I found it enjoyable at minimum.

He also recommended La Marande nearby for lunch, where I ate a stupendous 3 courses plus amuse and post dessert treats for 35€! There I picked up a half bottle off the list of Alain Michelot NSG 1er 2011 which had a lot of purity and while maybe a touch lean, it had a lot of muscle and some grip, nice dark fruit and spice and sauvage (50€ on list).

Overall a wonderful chance to get out in the countryside a bit while managing the trials of traveling with a 1 year old (no, we hadn’t planned to bring him along). Thanks again to Gautier for the visit and recommendations!