My best and favorite glassware right now. (Yay Glasvin!)

Throughout my 39 odd years with wine glasses, I have tried more than my fair share. For many years I used the Riedel Magnum for everything. When I hosted groups at my home I was well prepared. At one time I had about 80 of these glasses. They were functional and strong.

These days the groups are smaller, maybe 4-6 at any one time. For these moments I use the Eataly glasses in top photograph, made by RCR Luxion. These are pictured below. I take them to BYOs and they travel well. Strong and perfectly shaped and not too big. I own about 20 right now and they have become hard to find.

Then there is my lineup. Starting from right to left is my new favorite, the Glasvin Aromatic. I had a concern when I ordered this one as I thought it was too big (width). I have come to love it, you can view wines downwards better and for some of the Barolos I have been enjoying, this is key. The glass is perfectly balanced and on the swirl test is perfect. (I roll the glass between my thumb and forefinger and see its imperfections and unevenness. 95% of the glasses out there fail this test, even the Eataly glass mentioned above. Hand blown has its rewards. I use this for Barolo and Brunello. I own two.

My second favorite recently replaced by the Glasvin is the Conterno Sensory in the #2 position in photograph. Pricey but beautiful I tend to go less to it these days and reach for the Glasvin. I own one.

My third favorite and holding strong for about 8 years now is the Riedel vinum new world pinot noir (position #3), of which I have about 6. These have become quite pricey these days. For Pinot Noir, these are my go to’s

In the #1 spot in photo is the Riedel Grape Pinot Noir. I love this design and recently broke one. When I went to replace I was shocked that its price has doubled from what I paid for 2 ($39), so I did not replace.

Another new glass that I am on the fence with is the Made In red. Bought 4 and gave 2 to my brother.

The top shelf has one of my two Les Impitoyables Champagne. Best champagne glass I have ever used. I also have 2 Les impitoyables Old Red glasses that I use for my ‘oldish’ Cabs. For younger Cabs I go to the Riedel Extremes hidden in the back. somewhere. To be honest, I don’t drink much Cab these days. Whites usually get the Eataly glasses.

The statue should reflect me and my weariness in all of this glassware stuff, but no, after 39 years, I still love it all.
PXL_20210711_114202494.jpg
PXL_20210711_114159407.jpg
PXL_20210711_114153650.jpg

1 Like

I get myself in a lot of trouble with glassware, but definitely some solid recommendations above!

For me personally, my favorites are:

1. Sophienwald Red Wine
  2. Gabriel-Glas Gold
  3. Zalto Universal

I bought some Glasvin Universals last year for when we have guests/in-laws over. They were only $25/glass, so I won’t feel as bad when they inevitably get broken (compared to the other stemware we have).

1 Like

I too have compared numerous different glasses over a few decades and still conclude the best across the board and all things considered are Sophienwald: https://www.sophienwald.com/en/

For my full-bodied reds, I’m enjoying the Grassl 1855. The bowl shape, I feel, really magnifies the aromas,and I love the nearly paper-thin lip.

I recently transitioned from the Grassl 1855 to the Grassl Cru, but I like them both much better than my trusty Riedel Bordeaux glasses.

Just bought some Made In glasses and compared at a tasting to several glasses including Glasvin and Zalto. Better than the Glasvin and very close to Zalto. At $14 a stem after discounts, a bit of a steal

2 Likes

Can you post a picture of one next to some other glasses? My references are Zalto Bdx and Vinum Syrah, but any well-known glassses would do.

Although I broke one recently, I really like the Glasvin Expression. But my most used are Gabriel Glas.

GGG 4 da win

I keep coming back to Reidel Somms as my favorite

I like the Grassl Liberte, which look like a more stable (wider base) version of Gabriel Glas Gold. With that being said, these days our most used glass at home is the Grassl water glass (stemless) because it fits into the dishwasher so easily.

This is genuinely surprising to me. I love the sauternes glass but none of the others resonate with me, and some (like the burgundy) I actively dislike.

I currently use a blend of Grassl 1855/Cru/Liberte/Mineralite, Conterno Sensory, Riedel Sommelier Sauternes, and Jancis Robinson’s One glass. I wouldn’t buy the Jancis Robinson glass again as the Grassl can supplant it at a better price, but I use them (and enjoy them) now that I have them. I have the lineup of Zaltos too but rarely if ever use them.

Thank you Mike. We expect to sell out of our Aromatics soon and we’ve stopped offering it for wholesale until we restock.

Regards,
David

After consideration, I think I will invest in more of these Glasvins.
I just purchased 4 of the Expressions this morning and am making room in my kitchen cabinet.
Life is too short to sip from machine glassware. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I just purchased 2 more Aromatic glasses.

So good. Amazing actually.

1 Like

Are all of these glasses from the sophienwald lineup? Thanks in advance :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I believe so although I’ve not ordered any other than the wine glasses. BTW, my opinion has not changed; these are simply fabulous.

1 Like

I’m a staunch grassl guy but I also love trying new stems. Reluctantly ordered sets of the aromatic and the expression

BTW, I deal with the US reps for Sophienwald who go by the name of Adelion and are headed up by a righteously good couple, Simon and Ginger who live in the Alps. They are listed in the website, https://www.sophienwald.com/en/

Feel free to mention my name.

I have a set of Grassl Crus, but I will be looking for a new set in the months ahead. These are really nice looking glasses, but they are so thin that they have shattered on me multiple times, including once when I was holding the glass resulting in stitches. They also typically come out of the dishwasher water stained, but I’ve stopped trying to polish them because of the glass breaking so more than one occasion. Of the 6 I have bought, only 3 are still standing… really a shame. Any recommendations for more sturdy glasses?

2 Likes