TN: Five white Burgs with grilled lobster (Ramonet, Duplessis, Heitz, Pousse d'Or)

A friend is really into white Burgundy and appropriate food pairings so he decided to invite a few of us over for a lobster barbecue and asked everyone to bring a bottle of white 1er Cru (yes, one bottle turned out to be a Grand Cru Chablis but it did not ruin the event). I had never had grilled lobster before so was very excited and found it absolutely delicious. The wines were young so I don’t think anyone had much premox worries but nevertheless each bottle was at the very least enjoyable and besides the Chablis quite youthful. Most found the Ramonet En Remilly as their WOTD but the Armand Heitz Maltroie was also very well liked, although for me it was pretty much neck to neck with the Pousse d’Or. I didn’t spend a lot of time taking notes as it was a social event more than anything. The concept was really fantastic and I hope we can replicate it soon. We finished of with some marinated strawberries and a Renardat-Fachat Bugey Cerdon, which is always a delightful drink.

• 2016 Jean-Claude Ramonet Saint-Aubin 1er Cru Le Charmois - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Saint-Aubin 1er Cru (15.7.2021)
    Really bright on the nose with very pure lemony fruit and some attractive reduction. A bit restrained aromatically but crisp and citrusy. On the palate medium-bodied with good volume, quite firm. Very savory and pretty intense, racy even. Vibrant and tangy - doesn’t have the luscious 2017 fruit but it is very classic and correct.
  • 2017 Jean-Claude Ramonet Saint-Aubin 1er Cru En Remilly - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Saint-Aubin 1er Cru (15.7.2021)
    Wonderfully reductive on the nose with notes of lemon, smoke and hazelnut. Hauntingly intense and beautiful. On the palate mid-weight and super fleshy with mouthwatering freshness. Fantastic use of oak with stellar fruit. Just a very complete wine that has it all and is drinking almost too well right now.
  • 2015 Caves Duplessis Chablis Grand Cru Les Clos - France, Burgundy, Chablis, Chablis Grand Cru (15.7.2021)
    Fresh and saline on the nose with some attractive green tones. Lemony and flinty - on the primary side but really appealing. Surprisingly compact on the palate with a good deal of dry extract. Not high in acidity but firm and relatively concentrated. Pretty restrained on the fruit side of the equation. It gives the impression of being oak-aged without being oaky. Lacks a bit of zip but comes off as drinkable and food friendly, ready to go I would say.
  • 2019 Domaine Heitz-Lochardet Chassagne-Montrachet 1er Cru La Maltroie - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Chassagne-Montrachet 1er Cru (15.7.2021)
    Now labeled Armand Heitz. Extremely fresh on the nose with notes of lime, peach, spearmint and chalk. Really sunny with a whiff of sea breeze. On the palate it is moderately rich and ripe yet with absolutely great drive. Firm and intense with a savory, minerally feel to it. Really good fruit with some spiciness that raises its head towards the finish. Seems very serious yet it is immensely delicious right now.
  • 2016 La Pousse d’Or Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru Le Cailleret - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru (15.7.2021)
    Markedly, deliciously spicy on the nose with a honeyed tone and notes of lemon, apricot and smoke. Notably expressive, vivid and complex, and very distinct. On the palate it is more restrained yet not really timid with excellent concentration. Quite firm and linear, very driven. Bright and transparent with a long, full finish. Great potential for the cellar, but already expressive and enjoyable.

Posted from CellarTracker