TN: 2019 Dirty and Rowdy Wear a Mask Red (USA, California)

• 2019 Dirty and Rowdy Wear a Mask Red - USA, California (7/18/2021)
    Drank my first bottle of this right after Hardy released it. Several months later it’s drinking like liquid sunshine. Red fruit, a little spice and an orange peel finish makes for about as good a summertime red as you can possibly find. Happy, happy, happy!

Posted from CellarTracker

4 Likes

Awesome D&R note as always and spot on

1 Like

Just recently opened the 2019 Mendocino Old Vine Barbera.
Kept reading it was “light”, so I hesitated to try it.
Had a family gathering at our house and decided the time was right for something different and it was a hit.
I disagree that this is a light wine, it has plenty of depth and weight.
I like Barbera and this still identifies as Barbera with juicy fruits with that unmistakable D&R style.
Thought it was sold out but still see it on the website so will probably be getting more.

2 Likes

I liked this, but it wasn’t at the level of many other D&Rs for me:

Interesting. Grows on you. Nice blend of flavors, but seems to be heading off in a different direction than other D&Rs.
11/26/20
For Thanksgiving. OK but didn’t grab me this time.
3/31/21:
With pizza at friends. Getting better! Somehow reminds me of a CdR, although the taste profile is different.

Posted from CellarTracker

It’s such a diverse blend I think it needed some extra time to knit together. My thoughts from last fall mirror your early bottles.

Thanks for the tasting notes!! [cheers.gif]

D@vid, do you happen to remember the grape varieties that make up this bottling? I never bought any, and presumed it to be somewhat akin to a “kitchen sink” blend made in the “Especial” style.

Mourvedre
Zin
Petite Sirah
Barbera
Chenin Blanc

I do not recall the percentages, but I think Mourevedre (1st) and Chenin (2nd) made up the majority.

1 Like

65% Old Vine Mourvèdre 10% Zinfandel, 2.5% Petite SIrah, 2.5% Barbera and 20% Old Vine Chenin Blanc

1 Like

For me, I find this to be the most identifiable D&R signature for their reds: light, but with loads of depth and texture. I always find myself marveling at how Hardy manages to pack so much depth and breadth into such a delicately extracted wine.

1 Like

Interesting that there’s so much CB in there.

Does Hardy suggest serving it chilled or at room temperature?

Thanks for the notes - sounds really really interesting.

And I love the fact that folks understand that a ‘light’ wine can still have plenty of depth.

Cheers!

1 Like

Hey Larry, This was from the original release:

DECANTING INFO:
This wine was bottled at the end of July. Our first recommendation is to let the wine sit for 4-6 weeks to recover from bottling and travel. If you choose to dive in early, please decant decant decant.

Optimal Decant: Overnight (drink next day)
2nd Best: 3-4hrs

Profile / Pairing: The wine is sleek in texture, has BRIGHT acidity, and present but gentle tannin. We suggest trying it with seared duck breasts, margherita pizza, or lentil and leeks over rice (this recipe is awesome and easy)

Note: With the suggested decant, this wine is rocking! It also has the bones to age for years and we would not hesitate to stash a few away.

1 Like

Thanks for the detailed notes. Interesting suggestion to decant overnight - anyone have any comments about this? Did folks decant and if so, how long? And if not, how much did the wine change over time?

#curious
#alwayslearning

Cheers

I did not decant. I also did not chill the bottle. It was served at room (70 ish) temp. It was firing from first sip.

70 degrees?

Yes.

Fahrenheit

1 Like

I mostly think that this wine is made up of some pretty incredible sites, a lot of which have strong personalities too. another reason in the column of likely needed some time to stitch together.

2 Likes

Thanks everyone for the notes on this wine. This was the wine we made for CA Farmworker COVID-19 relief. Though a tiny lot, it raised more than $26,000 for the CA Farmworker Foundation and the Napa Farmworker Foundation.

We released this shortly after bottling so we recommended a very long decant. I thought it was delicious pop n’ pour- it was special with a lot of air. I found one at my in-laws in MA just after the 4th and gave it a 45min decant and poured it back in the bottle for 2-3 hrs before serving. I gave it a little chill (10-15min in the freezer) and took it to a party on a porch overlooking Buzzards Bay-- It was exactly what I wanted in my glass (though it disappeared before I could hit it again).

The Chenin was surprising (20%!) and really brought the wine together. I played with as little as 2% and as much as 40%. (The wine also has a full barrel of the 2019 Legends in it.)

Joel mentioned that the sold out Barbera is back on the website- Yes. I put a handful of cases of a few wines up. As we only bottled 15% of our normal production this year, we needed to make the library on some of the young wines quite a bit smaller. Sad for us, wonderful for you! :slight_smile:

David- Thanks for digging into this. It sounds like we had a similar response not so far away!

1 Like

You end up so close every summer. We have to find a way to get together.

2014: Dirty, Rowdy, & Enfield

2016: Dirty & Rowdy & Cruse

2021: “Dirty & Rowdy & Bu3ker?

1 Like