Best Wine Retailers

I would like to get some opinions on the best (online) wine retailers in the US. Are there any retailers who have temperature controlled storage?

Thank You!

2 Likes

Of the non-local (NYC) retailers that I use, SommPicks has been reliable and good with transportation.

1 Like

WineAccess is pretty solid and they are cold chain until the home delivery leg. Never had issues with WineLibrary or Wine.com, but they are churn and burn style retailers. Not sure I would trust them with anything super sensitive.

1 Like

second wineaccess. Also enjoy Benchmark overall but especially when deals are to be found.

Crush
Chambers Street Wines
Zachy’s
Acker
Morrell
Sotheby’s (wine retail online based out of NYC)
Sage Society
Benchmark
Cellar d’Or
Michel Thibault

For some reason, Portland OR has some of the best online wine retailers in the country–Avalon (mostly for NW wines), Sec, and Vinopolis.

Seattle has none, although a few are good for in store experience.

Second on Benchmark.

My favorite is Benchmark, probably closely followed by KL. Others I like are JJ Buckley, Woodland Hills Wine Company, Wine House, and First Bottle Wine.

The only retailer that I really dislike is wine.com. They have little respect for provenance in my experience and, in my experience, the fact that they usually make up for their mistakes eventually isn’t worth the hassle with so many great retailers out there.

1 Like

Chamber Street
Saratoga Wine Exchange
Bassins / MacArthur (but I can do local pickup)

Those are the three I use most and have had great service from all of them.

Benchmark

Flatiron

Flickinger
Benchmark

Agree on the WineSlash - great prices, and free shipping 99$ and more.

I’m loving stuff on Benchmark but I haven’t ordered yet. I’ll most certainly pick up some wines when I’m in Napa.

…a 2nd for Vinopolis in Portland, OR.

How are we defining “best” here? Customer service? Prices? Selection?

In my experience with wine retailers it’s pretty much “pick 2 out of 3 of those qualities”

1 Like

Give me prices and selection.

www.empirewine.com newhere

3 Likes

Easy answer: wine.com. Pretty good selection. Prices are 20-30% less than wine-searcher minimum if you play the coupon and cash-back game right. Atrocious customer service.

+1 (again) for Benchmark - provenance guarantee, great service, great selection. Prices are fair and they don’t gouge on shipping (cough Zachys cough). Some good deals to be had on unsold auction lots, but their search could be improved on mobile.

Envoyer has great prices, selection, and shipping. I can thank them for upping my champagne game.

Wine Access is a strong mix of price, variety, shipping, crazy referral / promotion / discount game if you play it right, and phenomenal service.

I signed up for SommSelect a few years ago and I really like it. Every day they feature 2 bottles and give a little give a few paragraphs about it. There is also a bottle shop with ~200 bottles in it. I’ve found that the selection isn’t that wide, but each wine is very carefully chosen. They once refunded me a $100 bottle that was corked no questions asked. Occasionally they have some really rare stuff. I make it a point to read the blurbs that accompanies each of their offers, and while the language can be a bit hyperbolic, I have learned A TON.