Help Me Understand a Wine Critic: Tom Hill

We know he’s been following them all from the very start. But what’s up with all the slashes?

[scratch.gif]

7 Likes

Once you write enough notes, the space bar on your keyboard breaks

This is way too short/boring

Always thought this was self-effacing of him… newhere

I keep offering to replace his keyboard, but noooooo.

Tom is the critic of choice for wines you’ve never heard of and wines that you have no interest in drinking. He will subtly convince you otherwise. Keep it up Tom!

Sorry, Marshall…you’re SOL. I barely understand myself.

They installed training wheels on my computer. It allows only so many " blanks" per post. To get around that, I use /// instead.
Tom

2 Likes

I think Tom models his writing style after James Joyce . . .

He’s a great guy. Incredibly knowledgeable. And I actually really appreciate his forays into regions/wines that I otherwise wouldn’t try, at least most of the time!

Tom Hill’s commentary is one of the top 5 reasons to come to the Wine Berserkers board. Thank you, Tom.

2 Likes

Tom is one of the most knowledgable passionate person I have ever met - and not just on the topic of wines. Ask him about heritage pigs! He gives Daryl Corti a run for his money as often as possible - and holds his own.

The cool thing about folks like Tom and Blake Brown and a few others - they continue to give of their time and knowledge, and for this, I am forever grateful.

Cheers.

4 Likes

Why are his TstngNts/cmmtns/imprssns/thghts so difficult to read?! [cheers.gif]

Thanks, Armando…I very much appreciate the compliment. I won’t ask about the other 4 reasons!! flirtysmile
I like to expand my horizons, learn new things, try new wines…and then post on them. Just sorta inquisitive on things vinous.
Oftentimes, the wines are pretty obscure and most people will never encounter them, or have never encountered them.
So much of the time, there are no responses. But I pay attention to the Number of Views and note that there are plenty of
persons reading my TN’s. It always helps that they are short/boring. So that makes my labor of love worth doing.
Tom

What’s with the bloody pulpit?

1 Like

Certain Monktown attorneys have a dim view of Mr. Hill. [stirthepothal.gif]

In the words of Berserker Oliver McCrum, “He’s a force for good.”

Oh, get off your wee Bloody Pulpit! neener champagne.gif

1 Like

Nope, Larry…I don’t hold a candle to DarrellCorti. The depth & breadth of Darrell’s knowledge always amazes me. He once came to NM
to speak at a SloFoods event on…get this…asparagus!! With all the details on why your pee smells so much after you’ve eaten it.
He held the audience in the palm of his hand, spellbound, for well over an hour. I’ve always said that if Darrell went into Physics instead of
becoming a mere grocer…he would have won a Nobel prize long ago. No way am I in Darrell’s league.
Tom

That’s easy. It’s wee. :slight_smile:

More seriously, Tom’s time and efforts are really something. WB is enriched, and we get to hear about many out-of-the-way wines. From a fellow physicist, keep on keeping on, Tom!

It took me a year+ to decipher the slashes and repeating descriptors over and over again in respect to aroma and taste. Keep them coming Tom!!! champagne.gif