TN: 2010 Fattoria Galardi Terra di Lavoro (Italy, Campania, Roccamonfina IGT)

• 2010 Fattoria Galardi Terra di Lavoro - Italy, Campania, Roccamonfina IGT (7/22/2021)
    Decanted 3 hrs. I was really worried when I pulled the cork, it was very funky smelling. No worries though, as the wine itself seemed fundamentally sound. After the first half glass, we clearly have a burly Aglianico (20% Piedirosso) that is going to coast to its 30th birthday. While the structure was pretty massive, it maintained a sense of elegance and focus. Equal parts blackberry, smoke, volcanic rock / charcoal hold their own off the massive walls of structure, barely, but they do. Give this time, lots of time, but if you have say more than three, give it a go. Otherwise hold. (94 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

4 Likes

Great note! I had the 2008 recently and it also started off with some funk. Turned into a great bottle, though, with plenty of years ahead of it. 2006 was even better. Need to see if I have any 2010s.

Funny, the 08 is the other vintage that I bought a few to lay day down. From memory, it seemed to more ready to drink in the near to mid term, but Iā€™m sure both will age splendidly.

guess I need to give the '06 significantly more air, the last bottle I opened was funky from start to finish