1999 Philipponnat Grand Blanc Brut "L.V."- rare champagne

1999 PHILIPPONNAT GRAND BLANC BRUT “L.V.” LONG VIEILLISSEMENT- Disgorged in 2005 @ 4.5 gpl which qualifies this for being an Extra Brut; it is a special bottling that occurs only in declared years; about 20% is barrel fermented with ML being blocked and the rest goes into vat which does undergo partial ML; only 800-1,000 bottles are made when declared; this is a Blanc de Blanc which is rare for this house which predominantly features Pinot Noir centric wines; the Chardonnay fruit is sourced from Cote des Blancs and their own estate vineyard, Clos des Goisses in the southern region of the Montage de Reims in Ay; it is presented royally in an OWC and the front and back label is separate and unique for this release.

So, enough of the intro, how was the champagne? Well, I’m not a fan of oxidative notes, especially when it has reached the nutty, Sherry like state when really advanced, but as my ITB friend who has Philipponnat in his portfolio and is quite knowledgable commented, “this is oxidative, but not oxidized”; for me, that translated into those early stages of oxidation where the color is yellow gold and the aromas and flavors include caramel, butterscotch and honeysuckle; as one would expect from extended lees contact, this was full bodied, super rich and creamy; it was mindful of the 2002 Cristal Late Release and i have to say, I’m just not that enthralled with the immensity and “mature” profile of these champagnes.

Cheers,
Blake
tempImageAbQkyp.gif
tempImageeGluBD.gif

Just now posted as part of another thread: Dinner with 99` Philipponnat Grand Blanc, lots of really good white and red Burgundy - WINE TALK - WineBerserkers

Happy to help you with those Champagnes that show some oxidative notes anytime you need a hand.

1 Like

Anytime Joe.

:+1::wink: