TN: 2018 Martin Müllen Trarbacher Hühnerberg Riesling Spätlese feinherb * 3te Terrassen

• 2018 Martin Müllen Trarbacher Hühnerberg Riesling Spätlese feinherb * 3te Terrassen - Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer (7/22/2021)
    Initially quite surprising, as it showed a lot of power. Once I got used to it, and gave it an hour of air there was maybe a little more nuance. I do think it needs time, as it is still mostly monolithic, like an obelisk with faint carvings. There’s more there, but it’s hard to see. Tonight it was a fruity, slightly sweet, fun drink. I will leave a couple of bottles to mature a bit and see where it goes.

Posted from CellarTracker

1 Like

How the heck did I miss this offer?

Love the 2015 and 2016 spätlese trocken ‘3te Terrasse’ bottles.

1 Like

Have not tasted a Müllen Trocken. Maybe next offer. Of course with Sneaker Guy now handling some Steinmetz and Gut Hermannsberg (sp?) wines I may not get back to Müllen.

1 Like

Is Gut Hermannsberg (sp?) that good? Thought Pigott was a shill for them.

You don’t see many wines from Traben-Trarbach!

Fun footnote: The first time I visited the Mosel, in 1997, I visited Hans-Leo Christoffel at J.J. Christoffel. At some point in our conversation, he explained that most of the Middle Mosel was Catholic, but that Traben was a Protestant town and, in the days of Prussian domination, it was wealthier than Ürzig or Erden because the Prussians preferred its wines.

2 Likes

Don’t know for sure yet. Will find out relatively soon.